Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with buying a .22 rifle

Options
  • 29-12-2011 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

A friend of mine is thinking of buying a black semi auto ruger .22 rifle has anyone got any info on this gun in terms of range and reliability and also for shooting rabbits and foxes with this gun.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

For hunting rabbits and vermin and plinking the ruger 10/22 is a mighty gun and alright for the €350 price tag. However if you want to shoot foxes go up to a magnum, or 17 HMR.

I have a ruger 10/22 DSP and love it. But I wouldnt trade the hornet for Foxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mike91

what kind of range are you talking with the .22

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slingshot88

i have a 10/22 and it is super reliable and good cheap fun, but for foxes anything over 80 yards is not going to be a clean kill imo

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mike91

i have a 10/22 and it is super reliable and good cheap fun, but for foxes anything over 80 yards is not going to be a clean kill imo

And what about rabbits and things? what kind of range for them

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slingshot88

with a scope fitted and a bit of practise rabbit kills up to and over 150 yards can be achieved but at these distances any bit of wind will affect it and you also have to take bullet drop into account but thats the fun of it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 pj90

I love them guns so easy to use

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

For the sake of making a humane kill on a rabbit, me and most everybody I know limit ourselves to between 80 and 100m with the .22 rimfire.

Of course, you CAN make a kill from further out, but that is your decision.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

115 was the longest kill shot I had with my 22 on a bunny most wouldbe 60-80 or about 80 yards was the longest kill straight off with a fox

They aren't really for foxs but out to 80 yards with the right round it will do but be sure it will work

• Registered Users Posts: 30 peter o reilly

Personally i would not buy a semi automatic .22 as they are ****e as regards distance .Bolt action is the best to go for .Ihave been shooting for 27 years and in my opinion the .17 is far better than any .22 rimfire .Ammo is dearer but it is by far a harder hitting gun .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

After having shot an out of the box 10/22 I'd rather jump out and shout BOO! at animals to knock them off :cool: (Probably work too.)

My vote goes to a solid reliable bolt action rifle.

130 yard rabbit was my farthest kill when my Quad was a .22lr, shoulder shot, pop, rolled over. Fox 80 yards, through the brain - as opposed to the "head", as you can hit him in the head and still only wound him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Speaking as one who owns and uses a ruger 10/22, if you want something purely for controlling vermin, get a bolt action. A CZ would be the main choice. A good 22lr will be a gun for life so invest in a decent one from the beginning.

Advertisement