Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticket prices at local shows

Options
  • 29-12-2011 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

MrStuffins wrote: »
    However, this thread reminded me that having seen the line-up for Cage Contenders XII and then seeing the price of the tickets, I was baffled as to how such a quality card could possibly have tickets for as little as they are. I mean, I remember saying on a previous CC thread that the care i watched on TV was possibly the best MMA card i'd ever seen.

After reading this quote it got me thinking about how much fans/customers see as a fair price and what they feel they should get for the cash. I asked the same question early this year so it will be interesting for me to see if opinions have changed.

I'm not getting at anybody with the question I just see it as a bit of market research

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I've only been to 3 or 4 local shows and the quality of the cards always justified the price. I brought my gf along to the shows and even she really enjoyed it and she has little or no interest in mma. So it is usually good value for money.
    One thing I'd like to see included in the ticket price is a program to go along with the night though. That'd be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

If people will and are paying 70-100Euro for the CHEAPEST seats at a UFC event, which are top tier right at the back, then the prices for local shows here are awesome, hence why i'm gonna try and get to as many as possible in the New Year.

You could go and see EVERY local show in this country next year for the price of 1 Ringside UFC ticket.....probably.

Puts it into perspective really, i know UFC has brought MMA up to a new level with new fans etc but damn, they take the piss with there pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Prices for local shows are some of the best value for money you can get for a Saturday nights entertainment. anyone that complains about them has probably never been to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

A little off topic but.............

I said in another part of the quoted post above that tickets had been booked for CC XII. Turns out the tickets WEREN'T booked so it was left to me to sort. When I went and tried to book them the site kept declining my card. it's VISA Debit, so maybe that's the problem?

Anyone tried to book CC tickets with VISA Debit and had a problem?

Also, if i can't book online, where do I book the tix in person?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

MrStuffins wrote: »
    A little off topic but.............

I said in another part of the quoted post above that tickets had been booked for CC XII. Turns out the tickets WEREN'T booked so it was left to me to sort. When I went and tried to book them the site kept declining my card. it's VISA Debit, so maybe that's the problem?

Anyone tried to book CC tickets with VISA Debit and had a problem?

Also, if i can't book online, where do I book the tix in person?

I can sort them for you if you have PayPal or give Premier Tickets a ring and they will find the problem

JF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I can sort them for you if you have PayPal or give Premier Tickets a ring and they will find the problem

JF

Cheers John, I could top up my Pay Pal and do it that way. PM me with the details if you get a chance.

Looking forward to the show. Myself and 2 MMA loving mates are even dragging along 2 non-MMA lovers to show them what the fuss is all about ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I think 2-3 years ago, shows were overpriced. I don't think they are now. The prices haven't changed at all, but the shows and quality of fights have become so much better. I used to hate old C class rules undercards, it was like watching paint dry sometimes, but the rule change has made fights far more of a spectacle than before.

I haven't paid to see a show in years but I think I'm pretty in tune with the market. I would say the following price range is right based on what I see:
    - Novice shows, shinpads/headguards old C class rules. Afternoon club type shows regardless of venue: €5-€15 per head
    - Amateur shows, mainly amateur card with maybe a pro match or two (whether or not fighting pro on a small show is a good idea anymore is up for debate) €20-€25
    - Pro shows with a mainly pro card (I would love to see 100% pro cards from all the big shows but we're not quite there yet) €25-€50 depending on the experience you pay for. At Battlezone and the last Cage Contender the ringside seats had good table service, nice covered tables and a great view. I don't think tables are necessary all the time but I think sitting cageside with good views, nice spaces between seats etc. is worth a little more if you have the money.

Putting amateur shows to the side, there are really only 2 pro shows right now- Battlezone, Cage Contender. With all due respect to Clan Wars and Man of War, they for me fall into the second category since the bulk of their cards tend to be amateur. Both still great productions.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IFS.NI

Putting amateur shows to the side, there are really only 2 pro shows right now- Battlezone, Cage Contender. With all due respect to Clan Wars and Man of War, they for me fall into the second category since the bulk of their cards tend to be amateur. Both still great productions.

Correct me if I am wrong but have you ever been to a main Clan Wars event Barry?

The last main show had 6 pro fights on and the one before that had 5 pro - perhaps you are getting our challenger shows mixed up which is mainly an amateur show?

Getting the balance between pro and amatuer fights is needed for most shows.

Your entitled to your opinion but perhaps before making judgement you might want to actually get to a Clan Wars show lol - I will sort you a ticket for you and another if you fancy checking out Clan Wars 10.

IFS.NI wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong but have you ever been to a main Clan Wars event Barry?

The last main show had 6 pro fights on and the one before that had 5 pro - perhaps you are getting our challenger shows mixed up which is mainly an amateur show?

Getting the balance between pro and amatuer fights is needed for most shows.

Your entitled to your opinion but perhaps before making judgement you might want to actually get to a Clan Wars show lol - I will sort you a ticket for you and another if you fancy checking out Clan Wars 10.
    No I haven't been to a show I'm basing my opinion on the results I've seen posted. I meant no offence and from everyone I've spoken to about your show, I believe it's a good one.

As for the offer of tickets, thanks I'll take you up on that, but I'd prefer to work for my visit so if you're ever in need of judging etc. I'd be happy to help out.

Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IFS.NI

Ok no problem, I just dont like people making judgements without proper research or without attending a show.

Heres the results for you from the last pro shows mentioned.

Cage Contender 11 - (7 pro fights)

http://addictedmma.com/result-4956_Cage-Contender-11.php

Clan Wars 8 - (6 Pro Fights)

http://fighthounds.com/mma/clan-wars-8-results/

Battlezone 4 - (3 Pro fights)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056325818&page=8

Man of War 2 - (2 Pro Fights)

http://fighthounds.com/mma/man-of-war-2-the-fight-card/

Each of these shows are very professional shows, IMO running a professional show is more than just how many pro fights you have on the card.

I think people should stop worrying about who does what better and support all the shows,we are lucky to have so many top level ones - many in England are not half the shows we have here!

• Advertisement

IFS.NI wrote: »
    Ok no problem, I just dont like people making judgements without proper research or without attending a show.

Heres the results for you from the last pro shows mentioned.

Cage Contender 11 - (7 pro fights)

http://addictedmma.com/result-4956_Cage-Contender-11.php

Clan Wars 8 - (6 Pro Fights)

http://fighthounds.com/mma/clan-wars-8-results/

Battlezone 4 - (3 Pro fights)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056325818&page=8

Man of War 2 - (2 Pro Fights)

http://fighthounds.com/mma/man-of-war-2-the-fight-card/

Each of these shows are very professional shows, IMO running a professional show is more than just how many pro fights you have on the card.

I think people should stop worrying about who does what better and support all the shows,we are lucky to have so many top level ones - many in England are not half the shows we have here!

I stand corrected. I apologise for the mistake.

For the record, I wasn't trying to compare shows or come up with favourites, just make a point about pricing and how much I think shows are worth in terms of the quality of fights on display. The last sentence was a throwaway remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kainer2

For the record

Cage Warriors 39 - 9 pro fights (top 3 fights were Ammys)
    http://www.sherdog.com/events/CWFC-39-The-Uprising-14992

Cage Warriors 42 - 10 pro fights (top 3 were Ammys)
    http://www.sherdog.com/events/CWFC-42-Cage-Warriors-Fighting-Championship-42-15457

I hope to copy our London model and do 12 pro fights (6 Undercard bouts and 6 main TV bouts) plus some Ammy prelims when we come back to Ireland later this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

Looking forward to it Ian. It's already set to be a cracker with rosi vs aishling on the card.

Advertisement