Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confusion RE: combined care

Options
  • 29-12-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi everyone

I hope someone can clarify this query for me:

Having had no need to see a DR in many years (luckily) I chose a new DR (not the family doctor),who was closer to my place of work/home, to confirm my pregnancy and get the ante-natal process started .. They mentioned the Combined Care scheme they were part of;...

I opted to go Private Care, attending Coombe Hosp, Dublin... as it was as equally local to my work/ home... It is also just as handy for me to go there as it is to go to the new DR

About 3 weeks ago (on my 5th visit to my consultant), she asked if I wanted to do the Combined Care Scheme with my DR, but as proximity was much the same, and as my schedule has a great deal of flexibility with regard to making consultant apppointments, I said I was happy to continue seeing her for all my appointments...

The DR rang me the day afterward asking if I wanted to avail of the Combined Care Scheme, and I said no, I was happy to stick with the consultant appointments..

My query is: does it really matter (in the cost of things) whether I see the DR or the Consultant, for these/any extra visits???... Is it really for convenience (time & location wise) that the COmbined Care Scheme helps women?

I understand the Comb. Care Scheme visits are free, so should I assume that the visits are free with the consultant also (or are at least included in her fees??)

I'm 28 weeks and so far have had 6 appointments with Consultant.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think with the private scheme I looked at there were something like 6 consulatant visits included and anymore would be billed at a reduced rate. That was with WRH, 2 years ago, so it may be different.

I would say it is so handy to just call my doc if I have any questions or if I feel funny. She will usually give me an answer over the phone. Esp. when I want to ask her if she will allow me to take an over the counter medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I personally thought the combined care scheme was money for old rope for the doctor. My gp had a nurse who saw the pregnant women (combined care), old age pensioners (free medical card) and infants for vaccination (free under hse).

The nurse checked my blood pressure, checked the urine sample and listened to the baby's heartbeat on a Doppler. On the rare occasion I needed to see the gp I had to wait until she was finished with her other clients. When I was signing up for combined care the gp sold it as a scheme where I got to visit my gp on a regular basis but in reality I met with a nurse.

Perhaps my experience isnt typical of the combined care in general but if/when I'm pregnant again I'll opt exclusively for the consultant care or a midwives scheme if I have the choice.

Advertisement