Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota celica

Options
  • 29-12-2011 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi how does one know if a 2001 Celica 1.8 vvti is a 140 or a 190 also do they seriously have a big oil burning problem as there is such diversity on the subject..thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

There are 2 different models, a 140bhp model and a 190bhp model.
    As far as I know the 140bhp model had oil burning problems, especially the earlier models. You're best best if to find a Celica owners forum and do some research on it, that should answer any questions you may have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Some of the early VVTi engines had oil burning problems, the engines were the 4ZZ-FE 1.4, 3ZZ-FE 1.6 and the 1ZZ-FE 1.8, The problem was related to porous liners used by Toyota. There were lots recalled and fitted with a new short block and expanded oil capacity sump, these were done as late as 09.
    BUT not all got done.
    The problem seems to occur at around 60k miles but sometimes sooner.
    TSB EG-6020 details the repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

VVTI is the 140bhp
    VVTLI is the 190bhp as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Firstly the Oil burning is an issue but nearly all cars should have had shortblocks replaced. It it was my money i would be ignoring the 140BHP and just looking at the VVTLi 190. There is a very simple way of telling the difference. Open the bonnet and look at the engine they are very different to look at. The most noticeable difference is the intake manifold to the front of the engine. The 190 has a metal intake manifold with the 140 having a plastic manifold.

190 VVTLi
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDUHlUeZzuIogIhnNVbg37w12W1Z6wlTEdrRIq0koEGrDAyT6qYw

140 BHP
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHx1YL4UFZxc6lSCXwVz8KiGVjb4fx3hdxMeSDmbErSv55WziB1g

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭d-don

get your ass onto celica ireland website... :D
    youll find all you need to know on the cars bud... as for oil burning issue.. its a very rare problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 gerryfitz

THANKS TO ALL FOR ADVICE

Advertisement