Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM issue

Options
  • 29-12-2011 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭

I went to take out a 100 euro out of one of the ATM machines in a shop, the big ugly ones, everything went ok, it said processing but it only gave me 50, I told the shop about it, they took my number and told me it was probaly out of money.

I rang the bank and a 100 euro was credited out of my account, they told me it was up to the shop to sort it out, I rang the shop and they told me it was the banks problem. Where does the fault lie and what can I do.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Its the Banks Problem

The Bank own the ATM
    The Bank fill up the ATM
    The Bank maintain the ATM
    The Bank owe you 50 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

So your not sure who's fault it is.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Just call the bank again and state what I said

they cant argue with the answers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Cheers man.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Did you get a reciept? Happened me once on my husbands' card. The bank credited his account quite soon after with no hassel. it is definitely the banks' responsibility. Just to be sure-you definitely requested €100?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

WIZE wrote: »
    Its the Banks Problem

The Bank own the ATM
    The Bank fill up the ATM
    The Bank maintain the ATM
    The Bank owe you 50 euros

Yes it does
    No, it may not
    No, it may not.
    No, it may not.

Some ATMs are shop filled and maintained. I had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Don't bother with the shop.

Go to your own bank and report it and follow the process.

Banks have 10 working days to sort you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

If the money jams, if it runs out of cash or it dispenses and you don't take it, (so it pulls it back in), the machine will be over when balanced. Contact the bank and they contact the shop, or if it's filled by the bank themselves, they may know already and could be expecting your call.

It may take a few days but it should get sorted easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

I work in a shop,and am responsible for filling an atm. If the money does not come out,contact the bank,it's their responsibility. The staff saying "it was probably out of money" is wrong,these machines are computerised,and if there's not enough money in them,they will show 'out of order'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Rangi wrote: »
    I work in a shop,and am responsible for filling an atm. If the money does not come out,contact the bank,it's their responsibility. The staff saying "it was probably out of money" is wrong,these machines are computerised,and if there's not enough money in them,they will show 'out of order'.

Apologies for slightly derailing this thread but you might be able to answer something that no-one in my local shop seems to be able to answer :)

Sign attached to ATM reads :
    1. Shop Staff do not have access to this ATM.
    2. No money is left in this machine overnight.

Given those 2 conditions, do little banking pixies come in every night and empty the machines or is one of those statements a lie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

In my experience ATMs in shops are filled by shop staff.

ATMs in shopping centres (standalone in a wall) are filled by security companies.

They're all owned by banks.

Go to your branch and they will initiate the process. You'll need to establish who has responsibility for the ATM. Shop should be able to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

The atm's are owned by the banks. Each shop is different,some are filled by security companies,some are filled by the bank. In my case we fill it. This was bought in a year or so ago,as part of the banks cost cutting. However,the sign is right,to an extent. Only a couple of staff have means of access,it's very tightly controlled,and would be too much of an issue for any attempted robbery. Even in our society where a pizza arrives quicker than the average gard,the place would be crawling with them before the timers were half way through,allowing the staff to open it.
    Of course there's money in them overnight,but again,each place is different,some may go to the hassle of emptying it each night.
    In the case of an issue arising with money,or card,being swallowed,although we take it back out,all correspondance is between the bank and the customer,we will not under ANY circumstances do any more than advise them of that.

Advertisement