Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry county council illegally built dam stopping salmon and sea trout spawning....

Options
  • 29-12-2011 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

River Feale County Kerry (smerlagh)

Kerry county council Dam in north kerry
    River feale in county kerry one of two dams built on the upper streches of the special area of conservation. Built three years ago by Kerry county council. No fish pases were built causing widespread flooding and fish kills of salmon not being able to get over the dams.

Dam also causing widespread flooding.:mad:

http://youtu.be/PqKSbC0Vzl0
    http://youtu.be/I40y6QRgKrQ
    http://youtu.be/Os40_HOEOR4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Hi Dan

have you contacted the fisheries board about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

yes they were contacted, never replyed to letters etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Happyhunter

danbrosnan wrote: »
    yes they were contacted, never replyed to letters etc....

That says it all really. <mod snip>

:)
    That says it all really.:mad:

I would'nt say there useless just lazy, thats what the public service does to you i'm afraid.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Have you got copies of the letters? Dates posted, and who they were sent to? If you do, go over the head of whoever you wrote to - send it all to the CEO in Dublin and demand an answer as to why this wasn't dealt with. If you don't get a reply to that go to the papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Indeed
    Put your lazy civil service theory to the test!

Zzippy wrote: »
    Have you got copies of the letters? Dates posted, and who they were sent to? If you do, go over the head of whoever you wrote to - send it all to the CEO in Dublin and demand an answer as to why this wasn't dealt with. If you don't get a reply to that go to the papers.

The inland fishery board are far from lazy! there the greatest organization ever formed in this country. I can't understand how good they are at the jobs.......:eek:

fisheries have no power over the co council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

The inland fishery board are far from lazy! there the greatest organization ever formed in this country. I can't understand how good they are at the jobs.......:eek:

I'm not sure what your agenda is Dan, there are lazy civil servants just like there are lazy plumbers, nurses, farmers and most any other profession I could think of. What are you going to do about this situation? Come here and moan about about it or do something constructive?
    I'll give you a hand. Here is the CEO of IFI, The head buck cat as it were, contact him and tell all:

Kieran Byrne
    CEO Inland Fisheries Ireland
    Swords Business Campus
    Swords
    Dublin.

Failing this PM me the paperwork and I;ll pass it on to him. I have ocassion to be there up and down.

fisheries have no power over the co council

This is simply incorrect.
    Many many cases have been taken sucessfully by Fisheries against County Councils.

if they do they should be ashamed of themselves with whats going on at my local river at the minute. salmon spawning grounds covered dirty muck. road works being carried out. you should see the colour of the water

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

if they do they should be ashamed of themselves with whats going on at my local river at the minute. salmon spawning grounds covered dirty muck. road works being carried out. you should see the colour of the water

Where is this? And have you contacted IFI or the Co Co to see whats going on???

In most areas major roadworks that would affect rivers, such as bridge works, are not allowed from October to April in order to protect spawning fish, eggs and fry.

why was it not stoped here then? fisheries cars go by everyday. have a look nothing happens. came home the last day from work and nearly got sick with the colour of the water. cannot imagine the eggs doing too well with all that dirt in the water

why was it not stoped here then?

I'm afraid nobody here can answer that for you with the detail you provide.
    As above, where is this happening?
    Were IFI asked about it?

There are only very limited circumstances where a Co Co can go against the IFI in a case like this. EG Public heatlh reasons.

Tell us a bit more about the situation.

about 6 bridges being dug up in west galway all along spawning grounds. the mighty protectors of our waters let this go ahead, its an absolute disgrace

why was it not stoped here then? fisheries cars go by everyday. have a look nothing happens. came home the last day from work and nearly got sick with the colour of the water. cannot imagine the eggs doing too well with all that dirt in the water

OK. You have edited to add more info, and it now appears IFI are fully aware of the situation.
    about 6 bridges being dug up in west galway all along spawning grounds. the mighty protectors of our waters let this go ahead, its an absolute disgrace

As I stated in my previous post, there are only very limited circumstances where instream work can be done in the closed season (Salmon/Trout spawning season). Could flood relief be the case here?

Why not stop the next time you're passing and find out the reason?
    We'd all like to know!

Ya look i only posted this video for a response... there is a court case actually in proceeding its not like i just posted the video link up for nothing.... With regards to what everyone is saying the general opinion i believe is that the fishery board is not doing a good job... I agree with this because I'm a fishermen and i see whats going on with my two eyes... I don't ned to start naming things off that i know is causing the elimination of salmon and sea trout... The priority goes to rivers like the moy because there cash cows, but they forget about every other small river in the country....

I don't need to start naming things off that i know is causing the elimination of salmon and sea trout...

Maybe you should Dan.

The priority goes to rivers like the moy because there cash cows, but they forget about every other small river in the country....

I'll tell you why this is incorrect. I know Fisheries staff from all over the country. I know they all work in certain catchments. I know and have seen results published from work all over the country. There is more than one good river in this country. Anyway, this is beside the point.

Can we take it that the issue is being dealt with via court proceedings?

Let us know how it goes.

its definately not for flood relief, bridges need to be up graded for new road with cycle path. couldnt have picked a worse time of the year

Contractors have been in fish pass being constructed and the dam being fixed up...

Advertisement