Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Christmas low

Options
  • 29-12-2011 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

I've realised that what I love most about christmas is the build up. I love the songs, the shopping (early, to avoid crowds!), the wrapping of presents, the anticipation.

I'm not saying my christmas was a let-down, but there were unforeseen circumstances - my dad in hospital christmas eve being one, bad news about my mother in law on st stephens day being another- but the day itself was great.

Still though, I'm left feeling deflated after it all. When I was getting married I was on the relevant web sites and read about post-martial blues. It sounded ridiculous to me as I was only too glad to be able to stop planning and thinking about one day of my life. But now, I think I have post-christmas blues.

Not just this year, every year. I always feel I haven't heard enough christmas music (I had christmasfm on in work from november 30), like I haven't watched enough christmas films, I feel like I haven't had enough "spirit".

Does anyone else feel like this? I know its once a year, but I feel I haven't quite had enough every single year. I know it's stupid, but I can't help it. I hate it being over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Hey OP
    Christmas isn't over yet. The day itself is, but the Christmas season isn't over til 6th January. There's still some ads on TV, decorations up, lights up in houses, lots of films on TV to watch.
    If you can, try and go to the 7Up winter wonderland thing. It's open til January. Should be nice and Christmassy! And have a little celebration planned for the 6th January to round off the 12 days of Christmas. My sis in law is Russian and this is when she celebrates Christmas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

give yourself something to looking forward to or focus on for after xmas.
    A bit of structure is the only thing that stave's away the blues for me.
    I find it painful to get out of the lazy routine and come back to reality but I have to just get myself into a routine and be content, I used to get caught in the nostalgic 20/20 hindsight rut, it sounds cheesy but learn how to be in the moment :)

its okay to be excited and to be disappointed or miss it a bit of acceptance of that cycle you're aware of could help.

i.e for me I know every year when I have my holidays I cant afford to go anywhere so i stay in the house and really enjoy having time off but get so down and miss doing something , I know this happens every year so I am making plans as to how to avoid feeling bad over the holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

Thanks, you're both right! I'll go to christmas wonderland to keep it going, but I do have my new years plans that I can't wait to get in to! And after all, it's only 11 months of non christmas to go! I know I'm being silly, but I can't help it every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The Post Christmas will hit me next week when most people head back to work. The lows are made worse by the media and advertising for the urge dieting amd excercising for the guilt of our Christmas excesses. Thinking of the TV series Operation Transformation beginning as soon as the Christmas festivities woul worsen any lows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

OP, Christmas is just starting!!! Please remember we have a full 12 days of Christmas.

I love the build up and Chistmas eve is the most amazing day of the year but so many fun things to do over Christmas.

My MIL was not very well on Christmas day and that did take a bit of the shine of it and we are having a big Family 2nd Christmas o the 30th with my family but my brothers Oh mother is very unwell so not sure if she will be able to make it.

My husband and I have had a wonderfull time catching up with friends, long sleep ins, reading staying up far to late watching crap tv, palying board games and drinking wine.

So getr back into Christmas and plan a mini Christmas for the 6th Jan. We always do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

guppy wrote: »
    Thanks, you're both right! I'll go to christmas wonderland to keep it going, but I do have my new years plans that I can't wait to get in to! And after all, it's only 11 months of non christmas to go! I know I'm being silly, but I can't help it every year!

Well in fairness most people can't get excited about anything never mind Christmas, as for getting out of Christmas I found it great to stay active doing non chrismassy things this week! I know it sounds strange because I also enjoy this time of year but its good for me

And after all, it's only 11 months of non christmas to go! I know I'm being silly, but I can't help it every year!

You should come on this forum for those 11 months! I'm mad about Christmas and found I was really low after it last year. So i came on this forum in the off season and posted in the "Seeing Christmas Out of Season" thread and that kept me going!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

I love Christmas, and it does seem to go by really quickly, but it'll be back next year before you know it! Christmas is probably the only time that I get to really unwind and relax so it is a special time of the year. Was out today and there's still Christmas music playing which was nice to hear.

As already suggested maybe focus on something coming up during next year, or make a list of things you'd like to do/achieve during next year, and then when you sit down and look at your list on December 29th 2012 you can look back at all that you've done, and make another list for 2013! :pac:

How is Dad and Mother-in-law now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Totally understand what you mean OP. I hate the days after Christmas Day before New Years - I never know what to do with myself. I think I get slightly depressed! I have barely left the house and I don't want to do much. It's definitely an anti-climax. Of course I've been stuffing my face with food!

I think it's the build up I love the most but that doesn't last very long and then it's all over:( God I'm an awful crank!:D

I feel bad now that I haven't gone out much cos when I go back to work after the hols it'll b all - "what did you get up to over Christmas? Did you go out??" yada yada yada:rolleyes:

leahyl wrote: »
    Totally understand what you mean OP. I hate the days after Christmas Day before New Years - I never know what to do with myself. I think I get slightly depressed! I have barely left the house and I don't want to do much. It's definitely an anti-climax. Of course I've been stuffing my face with food!

Aw. It's a pity you feel that way. I try to stretch out Christmas as much as I can. I've noticed they stop showing a lot of Christmas ads after Christmas and St Stephens Day. But tonight I was so delighted - they showed the Guinness Christmas ad! I thought they stopped showing it on Stephens Day.

So I like the days from Christmas til New Years. A good few people are still on their hols, there's still lots of food and drink to be had, lots of films on TV, lights and decorations still up.

From the 27th til now I've been sick but it hasn't been bad. I've sat on the couch watching films with the fire on and Christmas lights twinkling. So it was lovely and not depressing at all.
    It will be after New Years that things will start to get back to normal and reality! But I'm still celebrating the Chrisymas period til the 6th. There'll still be other people's lights to admire til then!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Happy new year, Christmas folks- Christmas 2012 is just around the corner(!!) :pac:

I'm not too bad at the moment- back to work since the 27th- but it's usually mid January that the misery hits me. However, I've ordered a couple of things online this weekend that should arrive in the next week or so and I'm getting a new piercing at the end of January I hope.. I'm trying to make a real effort to have more to look forward to in January than just my Christmas credit card bill! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Evita

I’m so glad someone started this thread. I’ve been having a peek on here more regularly since last Tuesday to see if anyone had raised the issue as I didn’t know how to put it into words myself. I’ve been getting the post Christmas blues for as long as I can remember but seems worse this year. I had a very lonely Christmas this year as most of my friends have temporarily dispersed for various reasons economic and other so I think that compounded the low! Then Pat Butcher last night got me thinking of mortality ;) Like the OP I always feel I haven’t soaked it all up enough.

But I like the suggestion about 7Up Winter Wonderland. I’d love to go up and take pics. Travel is so costly but I’ll have a think about it. In the meantime I think I’ll rejig my Christmas playlist as I’ve discovered some more cool songs for it.

I think it’s just always tough to return to reality without the songs and the decorations etc., isn’t it? But maybe we can stave that off for a little while and visit this forum a bit more :) Christmas 2012 to look forward to too :)

I've realised that what I love most about christmas is the build up. I love the songs, the shopping (early, to avoid crowds!), the wrapping of presents, the anticipation.
    This is what I love most about Christmas too- I really love November because the build up is starting then.. :)
    As you said, it's not that Christmas is a let-down, but, for example, the pile of brightly wrapped sparkly parcels under the tree, covered with ribbons and bows are inevitably more magical than the perfume, socks, aftershave sets etc that they become Christmas afternoon.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

I also tend to feel that way once it starts to ease down afterwards, i love the whole buildup to Christmas, the day itself, stephen's day & then celebrating New Year's, but now with everybody getting back into the bustle that is everyday life & not meeting up with family, friends etc that you would be around more at christmas time it does get to you more! Even this morning i switched on the tv & reading the schedule i saw that everything has returned to normal now & even saying to my mam that it really seems final now. The tree etc will be up till the 6th & that'll be the final nail then. Till next Christmas anyways! :D

Taking 'Christmas' off my subbed forums will be a definite post-Christmas low for me. :(

.. as was changing my avatar from 'snow' to 'rain.' :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Posy wrote: »
    Taking 'Christmas' off my subbed forums will be a definite post-Christmas low for me. :(

Nooooooooo, we can still chat about Christmas!!! I have mince pies in the freezer and Christmas cake wrapped up ready for Easter! :pac:

Well I usually take the bookmark to it off at the end of Jan and add it back in around July.. by February it's just desolate wasteland- a sad reminder of past joy. :p

Advertisement