Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reading ECU on Mk2 Punto

Options
  • 29-12-2011 12:55am

My dad has a 2000-reg Mk2 Punto HLX. He's had a problem where after driving about 10-15 km the temperature gauge goes down to rock bottom and the engine management light comes on. At this point the fan comes on too. It seems odd, as the fan is coming on when the engine is cold. The light (and fan) will remain on until the engine is shut down and restarted. Sometimes it comes back on immediately, other times it stays off for a while.

My brother had tried using some diagnostic devices to read the ECU but from what I'm reading, this era of Puntos uses a non-standard protocol or pinout so he wasn't able to get a reading from it.

Does anyone here know what type of device or software is needed? A brief Google on my end mentioned the KWP2000 protocol, but this isn't exactly my area of expertise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Sounds like a thermostat problem.

For diagnostic software, have a look here - www.fiatecuscan.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭swhyte027

Fairly basic set up on the year punto any good mechanic should be able to trace that without the need for diagnostics.my guess is start with the temp sensor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Those early Mk Punto's are not fully OBD compliant, so not all scantools will work correctly with them. Karsini, where are you based? I have a scan tool that should do the business. At a rough guess, I'm wondering do you have a defective earth somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

As Swhyte says it certainly sounds like a temp sensor or sensor wiring issue. The temperature signal is being lost so the gauge drops to zero. The fan is being switched on then as a safety measure as the ECU has no way of knowing what temp the engine is running at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

As Swhyte says it certainly sounds like a temp sensor or sensor wiring issue. The temperature signal is being lost so the gauge drops to zero. The fan is being switched on then as a safety measure as the ECU has no way of knowing what temp the engine is running at.
    There are two earth points on the Punto that can cause odd-ball faults like this. One is underneath the battery tray, and the other is on the throttle body housing, beneath the air filter. I'd be inclined to look at an earth fault if there are a pile of stored fault codes relating to several sensor voltages being reported as low or having questionable range / performance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement