Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gauss' Law question

Options
  • 28-12-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Calculate the flux, due to a point charge of 100 nC at the origin, that penetrates a sphere of radius 0.01 m centred at the origin.
    Someone was telling me that this can easily be solved non-mathematically.

Can anyone explain why that is? I know they were using Gauss' Law.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Smythe

Maybe they simply mean that since a point inside a closed mathematical surface produces an electric flux q/ε0 through this surface, then the answer is simply 100nC/ε

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Kohl

Smythe wrote: »
    Someone was telling me that this can easily be solved non-mathematically.

Can anyone explain why that is? I know they were using Gauss' Law.

Thank you

The electric flux over a closed surface S is equal to the total charge Q enclosed by the surface divided by e_0, where e_0 = permittivity of free space.
    So your answer would be Q/e_0 I would imagine. I dont think it matters what radius the surface of the sphere is at, in terms of calculating the flux. I think radius only matters if youre trying to calculate the electric field.

Advertisement