Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Long Will they Last?

Options
  • 28-12-2011 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My brother was in Cuba about a month ago, and for christmas he gave me a present of a lovely box of 5 Cuban Cigars, this one here http://www.cigarinspector.com/other/habanos-seleccion-piramides-a-gift-from-cigarone

The box has a built in small humidor at the top, you might be able to see it on the picture.

I'm looking forward to smoking these at some stage, but I'd prefer to wait for a special occasion. Has anyone any idea of the life span of these? I have opened the box quite a bit to admire them.

What am I supposed to do to keep the humidor in working order?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭el_greco

The humidifier in the box will keep them nice and moist for you. Just add a little bit of water every couple of months and keep the box away from sources of heat (ie rads, boilers etc) or direct sunlight. Try to store them in a room that the temperature and humidity levels do not change too much. There should be enough humidity to keep them in good condition.

The best way to know if they are OK is to gently squeeze the bottom of them (the cut end). They have to be a bit spongy, without making crunching noise. If they make a crunching noise it means they are dry and need a little bit of water on the humidifier. If you overdo it, they will feel soggy and will not burn properly when the special occasion arrives!

There is no use by date on cigars, in fact he older they are the better they get. If you store them properly, they will keep getting better, up until they reach a stage (depending on the cigar this can be after 5 to 20 years) when they will start to lose their flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Thanks for the reply.

Advertisement