Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

e60 523i 2005 overheating

Options
  • 28-12-2011 5:38pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right lads, the ould fellas e60 523i is overheating.

It'll have to go to the mechanic, just want to get some opinions as to what it could be.

Points that i noticed.

*The heater was blowing cold when on full blast.
    *Coolant level was fine.
    *Engine fan would come on when the first amber temp warning would come on. But would otherwise remain off.

I'm hoping it's not the water pump...is there anything else i can check?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭swhyte027

How ya Alan I do afair bit with these cars everyday.the e60 I'm starting to c a lot of problems with the electonic termostat that could be your problem.if it is it will be loged in the ecu faults get it scanned and c if that shows up.myguess it's that or the water pump I've done one or the other or some times both.hope this helps.any other questions fire ahead and ask

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

swhyte027 wrote: »
    How ya Alan I do afair bit with these cars everyday.the e60 I'm starting to c a lot of problems with the electonic termostat that could be your problem.if it is it will be loged in the ecu faults get it scanned and c if that shows up.myguess it's that or the water pump I've done one or the other or some times both.hope this helps.any other questions fire ahead and ask

Cheers for the reply man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭swhyte027

No problem sure let us no how u get on

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

swhyte027 wrote: »
    No problem sure let us no how u get on

Well lads, it's the water pump!

Spot on diagnosis man. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Did you get the info on all the fault codes? The thermostat on these are electronic & there are one or two early warning signs of a failing thermostat. The seal electrical contacts on the thermostat can e breached by the coolant causing a short & tripping a code without causing any issues.
    The reason I'm saying it is that while they are replacing the electronic pump they should also be sure the thermostat is OK, that its not showing signs of premature warning of impending failure, especially as they will have the cooling system open. I know on the older cars guys swap out the waterpump & thermostat as preventative maintenance, it's different on these but the failure I'm talking about might make it prudent to check in this case.

• Advertisement

Did you get the info on all the fault codes? The thermostat on these are electronic & there are one or two early warning signs of a failing thermostat. The seal electrical contacts on the thermostat can e breached by the coolant causing a short & tripping a code without causing any issues.
    The reason I'm saying it is that while they are replacing the electronic pump they should also be sure the thermostat is OK, that its not showing signs of premature warning of impending failure, especially as they will have the cooling system open. I know on the older cars guys swap out the waterpump & thermostat as preventative maintenance, it's different on these but the failure I'm talking about might make it prudent to check in this case.

Unfortunately I wasn't there when they touched base with my ould fella this afternoon. Will ask about the thermostat tomorrow!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The P Code I'm talking about is P0597, the BMW diagnostic specific code was 2EF5, "map thermostat input signal".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Sorry to bump an old thread..

Same issue here. Amber warning came on, turned on the heater and no heat came out. Red warning came on so I pulled over and stopped the engine. After 2-3 mins I started it again as I was 300m from home.

Heat came out of the heater, and it was fine. Drove it for 30mins afterwards with the heater on and no issues.

Would the water pump fail and then work again after restarting the engine?

Its an electric water pump that fails, so I'm nit sure what exactly fails, whether its the impeller annihilating itself or something else. Id be budgeting for it to be do e regardless to be honest.

Thermostat should be checked as mentioned above too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Yeah, booked in now... best price on a pump I have found is about 400e :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement