Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a job then claiming back emergency tax

Options
  • 28-12-2011 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong thread!

Anyway,

Contemplating leaving a job for study reasons, I am owed a lot of emergency tax, kept at my employer to sort it and he said it takes a bit longer as it has to go through England etc and I only got onto the tax place a few weeks ago myself. I'm there about 4 months and was doing 45+ hours a week but we got paid monthly which is why there was a delay in me claiming it back, and I'm not even sure it went properly through, as when I rang the lady said that's all sorted but next pay check I was taxed loads. Employer told me to send away the a12 form and then get onto them in Tallaght, which I'm going to send next week.

Now, the problem at hand, I could be leaving now in a week or so (still undecided) and was wondering what way I would have to go about claiming the tax back if I left the job. Also does it take long to get back, especially if it was needed, could you go Tallaght and speed it up or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭GowlBag

"...it has to go through England etc..." Total nonsense!. What would tax you pay to the Irish government have to do with England? We have plenty of civil servants over here to deal with all that!

You won't be able to get the tax refund in 2011 because it would have to be done through the employer and they will have no pay periods left in 2011 to facilitate it now. You will have to contact the Revenue early next year and ask them to review your tax for 2011. They will require your P60 (and your spouses if you're married). You should get the P60 early next year from your employer. P60s are very easily produced so don't take any excuses.

Form 12A should be completed as soon as you accept a job offer to have enough time for the Revenue and your employer to get their fingers out and pay you properly. Get that form 12A to Tallaght ASAP but it will only have a bearing on 2012 at this stage.

I don't know how long the refund takes. Could be around two months. They are very busy this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I work contracting and frequently get screwed with emergency tax going from contract to contract. I basically get a p21 in the new year and it will ballance my tax year and I receive a credit of any overpayment, it's usually done in s couple of weeks and revenue do all the work, I just request it on payer online. Maybe this would work for you,?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭GowlBag

Spot on bfocusd. PAYE online would be a great way to get this done if the OP is signed up. The Revenue love as much as possible to be done electronically so I imagine it would be the fastest way to get it processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Green Mile

At this stage, you are better to wait until the year is over. Get the P45 from your job and send it to the Revenue office. The revenue will send you a cheque or will credit your bank account. Revenue can only refund years that are finished so wait until 1st of Jan 2012 to claim for 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

GowlBag wrote: »
    Spot on bfocusd. PAYE online would be a great way to get this done if the OP is signed up. The Revenue love as much as possible to be done electronically so I imagine it would be the fastest way to get it processed.

Yeah it's very quick, last year I worked for several companies, I requested the p21 around the 3rd Jan, they requested my account details and I had a credit of a few thousand put through within 2 weeks, I was amazed by how quick it was and highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,802 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

GowlBag wrote: »
    "...it has to go through England etc..." Total nonsense!. What would tax you pay to the Irish government have to do with England? We have plenty of civil servants over here to deal with all that!

If it's an English company, they may not have any payroll staff here, the UK might handle all that - including the company deducting tax on behalf of the Irish govt, and sending it to Irish Revenue. I've worked for one place like this. And I know one multi-national that does its payroll in India - same deal.

OP ... the rest of the advice here is spot on. And in future, ALWAYS contact revenue yourself when you start a new job. Relying on the employer is a recipe for things not to be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Thanks for all the advice guys, and yes it's an English Complany and all the payroll stuff is done there!

Will wait till January and try get it all sorted, just wanted an idea of how I'd go about it, I'll go to Tallaght with the a12 form the 2nd or 3rd of Jan and see what they say.

However I was wondering what would be the situation if I went ahead and decided to leave?? Would I still get the tax back that I'm owed from that job?? And would the process be different i.e. would I have to wait for the p45 to be issued?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,802 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You'll still get the money back if you leave - provided you have an Irish bank account to put it into.

At this stage, it's either in a pay run that you're getting from the company before 1 Jan ... or you'll have to wait for the P60 to be issued.

Don't mess around going to visit Revenue. Call them, and make sure things are set up right for 2012.

Register for ROS (look at revenue.ie to find out about it), get a password sent out, then request a balancing statement for the year after you've received the P60.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

My company's payroll in the US and there hasn't been an issue. When it was found out that I was on week 1 tax I got an amended tax certificate issued and the next payroll 2 weeks later I had the tax back that I overpaid.

The excuse that it goes over England is just to make some time....

Advertisement