Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allergic to Dogs

Options
  • 28-12-2011 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm allergic to Dogs. I live in Belfast, my mum lives in Cork. She has 4 large dogs in the house. Two sleep inside, two sleep in the garage. The whole house smells like dog.

Whenever I come home I have to bring anti-allergy tablets, and a nose spray. I could stand the itching, running nose, sneezing for a few days, but what often happens is that my sinus gets so blocked up that it causes an infection, as has just happened.

I usually leave home after a few days visit with a sinus or throat infection.

Over the years, I have asked her nicely to keep the dogs outside a little more, or not to let them near my bedroom, but she gets really aggressive when I do so. She says things like "you're sneezing because you were out in the cold last night", or "don't be whining like a girl/sissy" or "how did people live long go". This annoys/hurts as I don't want to be a whinger, and I am pretty sure I don't whine about anything else.

For these reasons I generally don't say anything, just take my tablets and try to keep away from the dogs when in the house.

I never get sick when I'm not here, and I run outside most nights and play astro-turf 2 nights a week in all kinds of weather.

Can someone tell me what I should say to my mother? I feel like I've tried telling her various ways but it doesn't hit home.

My own feeling is that I should probably just give up and not bother saying anything, at least that would keep the peace.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Moved from H&F.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

My house is full of dogs and cats, but I do realise what a nightmare it could be for someone with an allergy. If I were you (and could afford it) I'd book myself into a B&B, or stay with friends close to your Mum's place, instead of staying with her - and explain that you have to do that for the sake of your health. Maybe then she'd understand how serious it is. I don't have allergies, but every single time I get a cold it ends up as a chest infection - so you have my sympathy.

Your Mum probably doesn't realise that allergies can develop and change as we get older - if you were brought up in her house, or around animals, and didn't have an issue, then she might not believe that you really do get ill nowadays. If you continue to stay with her, and just take your meds, and complain a bit, she won't change - but if you change your behaviour and do the aforementioned 'staying elsewhere', then she might think again, and come to a compromise with you.

Not entirely sure we're in the right forum here - it's more a Personal Issue than an Animal & Pet one - but anyway, there's my advice :) Hope it helps a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

People generally dont like others commenting on how they live their lives, and saying something about dogs is no exception. My sister gives out to my kids, but if I say anything to her lovely (but completely spoilt and untrained dog), I get the head bitten off me by my sister.

As a dog allergy sufferer myself, you have my sympathies. It helps that my mother keeps her dogs hair short and clean and sweeps/vacuums shortly before I arrive to her house, but if my sister is there with her dog, I'm sneezing in 20 minutes, and wheezing (due to asthma) within an hour.

I'm lucky that my mam understands and tries to get my sister to, but she just doesn't realise how horrible it is. Unfortunately staying elsewhere may be your only option - you might not be able to just put up with it forever if your allergy worsens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

You poor thing, my house would be a nightmare for you! (7 dogs + 2 pups) My sister in law was going out with a guy who was wickedly allergic to pretty much all animals so whenever they would drop out I'd get a warning phone call, and hoover all downstairs, take all dog beds out and put them in the garage and open all the windows until he got there. It seemed to work. It helps that my dogs aren't allowed onto the sofas. Having said all that I was delighted that the relationship broke up :D

If your mam isn't open to you talking to her about it is it possible for you to hoover the house yourself when you arrive? and at the very least hoover your room and open the windows of the room to let air circulate?
    The staying in a B&B is a good idea too, might show her that the allergies are serious enough for you to put your money where your mouth is, and her spending less time with you because of it might make her think twice.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

i have allergies, asthma and two dogs, in my case it is my mothers and my brothers smoking that really gets to me.... oh and the damp house.
    HOWEVER- After a summer of non stop steroids and antibiotics.... my gp said to try Avamys... I have chronic rhinitis/ hayfever but I LOVE MY DOGS.... so i did and it worked for me... its much better ime than flixonase or oral antihistamines.... Sorry mods if this counts as medical advice. I am just trying to give my experience as a way of helping...

• Advertisement
Advertisement