Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Bird Seed & Feeder

Options
  • 28-12-2011 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

This is my second winter hanging out bird feed for the local wild birds in my area.
    By the end of last winter I had a good attendance of goldfinches, chaffinches, sparrows and starlings.

This winter however I am swamped with starlings. They completely dominate and make it difficult for the smaller birds to get a look in. No matter what feed type I put out they seem to eat it! I even tried one of those squirrel proof peanut feeders but the starlings have that figured out as well!

So can anyone recommened a feed type & feeder combination that the f-ing starlings wont won't eat?

P.S. I spotted a lone blue tit in my garden one day and would love to be able to attract more of these in particular if anyone has suggestions for this as well.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

Our blue tits favour the peanut feeder or a half coconut filled with a fat/seed mix.
    You can buy several types of seed/nut feeder enclosed in a frame which will keep the larger birds out - I know Amazon.co.uk have several. The only place I've seen one in operation is Farmleigh, where it works well. But we only get starlings sporadically, so I haven't actually got as far as investing in one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks man,

I actually have the peanut feeders and half coconut with fat/seed mix already.
    I also have one of those enclosed feeders but the starlings still manage to eat them all!

Blue tits are very scarce in the area I am guessing but the starlings aren't leaving much for the others if they do ever decide to visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Have used Nyger seed this year for the first time. Got it complete with a feeder at b and q . It has increased the different type of birds immensely . I have had many goldfinches and they continue to come while I keep filling it.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

The Nyger seeds are great for bringing in different birds,
    I counted 18 Goldfinches yesterday, a record for me anyway!
    (that was all at the same time too) I only fill it once a day
    and it is emptied in about two hours.

Thanks guys, the one thing I fine about seed liek nyger is that the larger birds are almost able to spill the seed out onto the ground becuase they rock the feeder so much when on it.

Is there any feeder type that works well for nyger?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

anybody any idea how youd make a home-made fat/seed mix??

I use the plastic feeders specifically for nyger seed, there are only
    tiny little slits in it so there isnt too much that falls out and any
    that does is quickly eaten by the ground feeders anyway, most of
    the goldfinches that were about the other day were on the ground
    with only four actually on the feeder.

A good suet/lard mix, melted down and mix in seeds, small chopped
    fruit, nuts raisens etc. You can then make it into balls or put it into
    a cup with a piece of string set into the mix, when it is set store in
    the freezer (lasts longer when its out) until needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

I use the plastic feeders specifically for nyger seed, there are only
    tiny little slits in it so there isnt too much that falls out and any
    that does is quickly eaten by the ground feeders anyway, most of
    the goldfinches that were about the other day were on the ground
    with only four actually on the feeder.

A good suet/lard mix, melted down and mix in seeds, small chopped
    fruit, nuts raisens etc. You can then make it into balls or put it into
    a cup with a piece of string set into the mix, when it is set store in
    the freezer (lasts longer when its out) until needed.

I think it might be the Gardman brand, they also do a tray which locks onto the base of the nyger seed feeder with the tiny narrow slots. I've found this great, and the birds enjoy picking any loose seeds from it. I know I posted a photo recently on the redpoll thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Here's my nyger feeder. I got it in Woodies last year. The photo is from an sneachta mór from last year. Loads of space on the feeder for birds so shy birds get a chance to feed as well.
    dscf2390e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Traonach wrote: »
    Here's my nyger feeder. I got it in Woodies last year. The photo is from an sneachta mór from last year. Loads of space on the feeder for birds so shy birds get a chance to feed as well.
    dscf2390e.jpg

That looks an excellent feeder for nyjer seed , I have one that two birds can use at a time , little plastic one I got in bq but that one seems a better choice. Must be hard to keep that one full and that nyjer seed is not cheap:p

• Advertisement

My local pet store sells a large bag of Nyger for €6 good value
    I thought!

Traonach wrote: »
    Here's my nyger feeder.
    dscf2390e.jpg

That's a great looking feeder alright. Anyone know where I can get one online or even what the exact name of this type of feeder is?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Should be able to get that type in Woodies, Kingfisher I think.

20% sale ends there tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

TechnoFreek: If you want to allow some of the smaller birds to feed in peace you could get one of these feeders .
    http://www.birdfood.ie/products.php?area_id=2&nav_id=36
    It usually consists of the usual nut or seed feeder surrounded by a cage like structure. Stops larger birds feeding but the little ones can squeeze through the slits.

I've seen them in Woodies. Newlands Cross Garden Centre and Johnstown garden Centre (Naas) have a really good selection of them.
    You can also buy them online from the website I gave the link to above :)

update:

I since ordered and received a nyjer feeder and sunflower seed feeder.
    I put seed in them last week. So far I havent had any takers to the nyjer from what I can see or although I only really get to look at the weekends as it's dark when I get home weeknights.

No surprise really but the starlings have shown some interest in the sunflowers but they still prefer the peanuts. I expected them to decimate the sunflower seeds but they haven't really.

I suspected I had a lone bluetit visiting the garden these past few weeks but I could never ID for sure. Anyway I definitely have one and lately he has been hanging out at the sunflower seeder.
    I presume he has a partner and other friends so hopefully word will get out??

Interestingly the holes in the mesh on the sunflower seeder are quite big. While the sunflower hearts don't really fall out, the blue tit is able to pull a single one though. He then moves to a flat area of the bird station with the seed trapped between his feet and pecks away at it until it is all gone. Very interesting to watch.

Up until a few weeks ago, I only ever had a couple of house sparrows visit. Now i can have up to 12 or 14 in the garden at the one time. They love the peanuts, particulalry the feeder with the squirrel proof cage around. They get right in there and work away in safety!
    One thing I love about the sparrows is that they aren't one bit intimidated by the starlings! They are no pushovers!

The sparrows also do something which i've never seen before either. We have a tall retaining wall at the back of the garden. Most other birds just stand on a shed or fence near to the feeding station while queuing to get at the feeders. The sparrows however cling vertically to the tall wall, almost like bats! It is very peculiar to see 10-15 sparrows are lined up in a row, clinging to a cement wall. If i can get a photo I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

update:

Up until a few weeks ago, I only ever had a couple of house sparrows visit. Now i can have up to 12 or 14 in the garden at the one time. They love the peanuts, particulalry the feeder with the squirrel proof cage around. They get right in there and work away in safety!
    One thing I love about the sparrows is that they aren't one bit intimidated by the starlings! They are no pushovers!

I had about 10 House Sparrows when I started feeding 3 winters back, I now have 80! I had some people mist netting in the garden last week and they commented on how fat the House Sparrows they caught were! Maybe I'm over feeding a bit?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Advertisement