Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EDM in Metal - Big Chocolate Remixes Your Favourites

Options
  • 28-12-2011 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

This is something that I don't particularly like, but it's been going on for years, and everyone from Metallica to KISS has given permission (in some format) for their songs to be remixed. Metallica even released some of the results on the soundtrack to a film and as B Sides to singles in the late 90s.

More recently bands have started using a "Big Chocolate" remix. This is the work of Cameron Argon, a stage performer from the US who uses this name in his work, and has himself just come off the Warped Tour. Although he works solely in the medium of electronic dance music, Argon has started mixing together Punk and Metal bands and has found a niche market doing this.

Argon used to be in a band called Disfiguring the Goddess and was also the lead vocalist of Malodorous and Burning the Masses at one stage, so he paid his dues to the community, and certainly comes across as a lover of Metal and not just someone looking to cash in. Anyway, this is gaining popularity, because he used to only work exclusively with Century Media artists but has now started branching out to places like Metal Blade and Earrache.

So what do people think about it, personally I can't stand it, and as much as I applaud a new kind of freedom of expression I seriously hope it doesn't lead to more people doing what Korn did and launching a dubstep/electro house album.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I really didn't want to like that KoRn song. I read in Metro about the dubstep album and was like "eugh...". Hadn't even given it a chance til that now but I actually really like it. Then again I love Rob Zombie, Rammstein, Matrix stuff, NIN etc.. Gonna get a ticket now to see KoRn now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm a fan of electronic music and metal music so anything that attempts to fuse the two together will get a thumbs up from me. These days everything is put together digitally so there are a lot more opportunities available to cut riffs up, speed them up, slow them down or otherwise distort them.

The problem is that some metal fans will be turned off by the "bleeps and bloops" as much as a dance music fan gets turned off metal by screamed vocals and blast beats.

Advertisement