Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking on a King Charles

Options
  • 28-12-2011 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm already the hugely proud owner of a Shih Tzu but am taking possession of a KC very soon, the KC is 3 to 4 yrs old, needs neutering and a hernia op as well, plus he has problems with his hips (I'm told this is tru lack of exercise?). What sort of costs am I looking at for the two op's? can they be done at the same time?
    My Shih Tzu has his own medical problems (well under control) that require 24hr care and I'm wondering if I'm insane taking on another dog in need of care?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Neutering and hernia op can take place at the same time (I have had it done with one of mine). Cost wise, depending on vet, could be anywhere from €100 to €200 but I would surprised if it was at the €200 mark without the hernia being very large. Without being specific about the hip problems, I can't give you any specific advice.

I don't think it is insane taking on a dog that needs some care (past what a "normal" dog would need), if you are willing to put all you have into it, you'll get it back a thousand times over. Because you already have a dog that needs extra attention, giving a second dog the same will not be as difficult as if you were not used to it. Personally, I'd always take on a Cavalier regardless of issues but I am incredibly biased :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Thanks Lorebringer, I had visions of vet bills running into the high hundreds for the op's. A couple of hundred doesn't sound so bad (relatively speaking!).
    He's a great little chap in need of a lot of TLC, he'll get it in spades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

An x-ray on his hips can also be done at the same time to see what this problem is that you mentioned. He'l already be anaesthetised so that'l cut costs again getting the three done at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

depending what is wrong with hips it can run into hundreds if not thousands. my brothers dog a spaniel x needs both hips replacing. one is badder than the other and the hip replacement is going to cost him €3000 per hip. up to now he has has just been treated for for arteritise (sp) vet bills and stuff he has been putting on his food, pain killers, which has cost him nearly €100 per month
    hopefully its not as serious but just to be aware. my brother took this dog on as well and he while knowing the dog had bad hips didnt realise what the costs where going to be. saying that he would never part with his boy

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

maybe the best thing before you take on the cavalier would be to bring to vet yourself to get him checked out. i dont know who your taking dog of so of course i cant comment but if the dog is 3-4 and hasnt been neutered, hernia fixed at this age and also nothing been done really about hips i would be very wary of what your told. if coming from a rescue, which i doubt. all these medical conditions whould/should be all ready sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Thanks for all the replies, I've already got a price for the neuter and hernia which I'm extremely happy with, I've committed to the dog now so it's a case of "for better or for worse". Here's hoping his hips aren't a huge problem.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

Get insurance for him sorted before you mention the hips to the vet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Yep, definitely get insurance for him! Cavaliers can be costly - our vet describes them as "a vet's best friend!" I've always used Allianz but switched to petinsure.ie and got a very good discount for the first year of cover.

Advertisement