Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cabling question

Options
  • 28-12-2011 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

We don't have a telly, but watch DVDs with a Macbook hooked up to a cheap projector and basic speakers. Recently the Macbook mini DVI connector has gotten wonky and the speakers are also acting up. Limited budget after the hols, but I have been loaned some old DVD players and a stereo, so I want to buy whatever cables I'll need to hook these up to the projector if that's possible. Photos of the components are below.

Before I even start getting cables, the first question is about whether the projector will be able to work. It's an early projector; resolution is 800 x 600. When I connect it to the Macbook, the Mac decreases the resolution of the signal automatically. So will a DVD player be as friendly or will it just send a high res signal that the projector can't handle?

Assuming there's a way around that, then which cables are the best choice? It looks to me like I need to get a pair of RCA audio cables to run from the DVD player to the stereo. For the video signal I could use either RCA or SCART (with a SCART to VGA adapter).

Thanks for any advice/help.

Photos:
    The projector
    Specs

The stereo

The DVD players (dont yet know which one works/is better)

Advertisement