Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can you buy wild rice?

Options
  • 28-12-2011 3:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm looking to buy wild rice. It's pretty easy to find it mixed with basmati rice, but I can't find it anywhere in Ireland on its own. The only place that I got it before was in Sainsbury's, I think it was made by Tilda, but they don't have it anymore. I can't find any Irish health food shops online that stock it either.

Has anyone seen it anywhere? It's absolutely delicious by the way, so if you do see it it's well worth trying!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I know that I've got it in a health food shop before, but that's in Limerick. probably others will stock it if you go in - its not a big seller so probably not worth having it online??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 langerballs

I don't know your location, but Mr. Bell's in the English Market in Cork city stocks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I've seen the Tilda wild rice in Superquinn. Mad price though. Think it was a fiver for a small bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I've gotten it in Tesco's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

What exactly is wild rice? I know that rice is seed from cultivated grasses, so is wild rice uncultivated grass-seed or simply grass-seed au naturel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 FireBelly

Not near Cork or Limerick, I'm in the Meath/Dublin area. I couldn't find it in Tesco in Maynooth or in Tesco online, which Tesco did you see it in Dinkie?

I'll check Superquinn too, though it's not listed on the Tilda website anymore so I wonder if they still make it.

I know it seems mad expensive but you get about 4 or 5 meals out of the small bag and it's really filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

It was in Tesco Wexford. I don't think it was with the rest of the rice. Think it may have been where they have things like vanilla pods, sushi rice etc. Am in there tomorrow so will have another look.

because its not actually a rice, its a grass seed, they often have it near the seeds section. Maybe check out a Holland and Barrett, they have a store in Ashbourne and loads in Dublin

mathepac wrote: »
    What exactly is wild rice? I know that rice is seed from cultivated grasses, so is wild rice uncultivated grass-seed or simply grass-seed au naturel?

Wild rice, contrary to the name, is not actually a member of the rice family, although it is a grain producing grass. Native to North America, wild rice can still be found growing wild in the ponds and lakes of Wisconsin, as well as in neighboring states. Like rice, wild rice grows in water, although it tends to require much deeper water resources. The two grains also have taste similarities, both tasting much more nutty with the outer husk left on. The similarities between the two grains end here, however.

Unlike conventional rice, wild rice is very difficult to grow commercially. In many cases, it is still painstakingly harvested from boats in the open water, using beating sticks to knock the mature grains into holding containers. Wild rice, like most grains in their natural state, matures at different times to ensure the widest spread of seeds and the least probability of damage and seed loss. As a result, fully mature grains can shatter and be lost at the bottom of the lake while other seeds are still developing
    [/COLOR]
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-wild-rice.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tesco has them in their own brand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm guessing you mean the expensive black rice?
    The bigger Asian shops in Dublin definitely do it, eg the Oriental Emporium beside Jervis and the Asia Market near Grafton street.

The missus likes to use it with normal sticky rice as she believes it has great health properties.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement