Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should i be panicing

Options
  • 28-12-2011 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

did something very stupid , gave the dog the turkey carcass, i wasnt aware of the dangers of this till i did research after, dog hasnt pooed this evening at all and is usually as regular as clockwork, no lethargy or any other symptoms as yet and its been well over 24hours since ate carcass and about 12 hours since last poo. should i be concerned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

What sort of dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Did you give him the whole carcass? Bones and all?? you need to get him to a vet immediately, cooked bones break up into huge splinters which will lacerate your dogs intestines and stomach. Jesus H christ, You should never give dogs cooked bones of any description. Vet immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

I know that now Andrew and feel so stupid for doing so, but on a positive she has just pooed and it was a normal poo no blood or anything, does this mean she got lucky this time?

I'm sure there'll be people here much better qualified to comment but I'd watch the dog very carefully for the next while.

andrew thanks for reply, i am watching her like a hawk , feel so bad that she could get could get hurt due to my ignorance. it will never happen again , couldnt forgive myself if anything happened to her.
    she just ate a full breakfast and now back to sleep as she normally does, praying its all good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Like previously said I'd keep a careful eye on her. Bones take longer to process in a dogs gut than dry food which could explain the delay in her pooing. Most vets are good to give quick advise over the phone so maybe ring to be on the safe side. Keep an eye on her over the next few days for anything unusual or her being off colour including straining to poo.

yeah i rang the vet to b sure and just a case of wait and see now , same thing just keep an eye on her, fingers crossed

another poo done no problems yay so far

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Did you give him the whole carcass? Bones and all?? you need to get him to a vet immediately, cooked bones break up into huge splinters which will lacerate your dogs intestines and stomach. Jesus H christ, You should never give dogs cooked bones of any description. Vet immediately.

Laceration isn't really the problem with cooked bones in the stomach. They can injure the mouth by splintering, and they can get stuck in the gullet on the way down, but once they're in the stomach the problem comes from impaction. There's very little good whatsoever in a cooked bone. It's dried out and the marrow is cooked to nothing. A dog with a stomach full of cooked bone will spend a long time digesting it and getting very little benefit out of it, and it'll then move through the gut very slowly, and the dog will spend a day or two straining to pass a turd like a bone brick. If they can't pass it, they end up in trouble.

If your dog gets into cooked bones and swallows them without mishap (as sometimes happens through no fault of your own - raiding a discarded KFC lunchbox while in the bushes on a walk is always a good one) the next step is to hold off any more food and watch the dog to ensure they pass what they've eaten. If they begin to look uncomfortable, like pacing, whining, drooling, panting, drinking a lot of water and then vomiting it back up - straight to the vet.

They can sometimes get blood in their stool when passing a post-bone bowel movement, but that is probably likely to be from straining to pass hard stools.

All in all, cooked bones are no good for dogs - if you want to give them a treat, make a simple stock with the cooked bones, discard the bones, and either pour warm stock over their dinner or on a hot day, freeze the stock and give them a stock-lolly to cool down.

^^^^
    As I said, there'll be someone along who's more qualified to comment.
    That's a bit of a relief for the OP anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Oooo, not qualified, don't ever use that word, not 'qualified'!

Advertisement