Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Family car recommendations

Options
  • 27-12-2011 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

I am looking for recommendations on good family cars as I will need to upgrade our current car(s) in the middle of next year when baby number 2 arrives. We currently have an 03 Honda civic saloon with 115k miles and an 07 Honda civic hatchback with 40k miles. I have a budget of about 12k but could stretch a small bit more. ideally I would like to upgrade the 03 civic as the mileage is a bit high and there is nothing wrong with the other car but this may not be possible if I want an 08 or newer car.

In the new car I want more boot space and storage as we already
    Find that with a buggy and shopping things become crammed quickly. I would like to go for an estate but my wife doesn't fancy it and as she will probably spend more time driving the new car so it's probably going to have to be a hatchback. My preference would be foot a Japanese car as i've never had trouble with them to date but once it's a reliable brand i'm happy. Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

fitzie79 wrote: »
    I am looking for recommendations on good family cars as I will need to upgrade our current car(s) in the middle of next year when baby number 2 arrives. We currently have an 03 Honda civic saloon with 115k miles and an 07 Honda civic hatchback with 40k miles. I have a budget of about 12k but could stretch a small bit more. ideally I would like to upgrade the 03 civic as the mileage is a bit high and there is nothing wrong with the other car but this may not be possible if I want an 08 or newer car.

In the new car I want more boot space and storage as we already
    Find that with a buggy and shopping things become crammed quickly. I would like to go for an estate but my wife doesn't fancy it and as she will probably spend more time driving the new car so it's probably going to have to be a hatchback. My preference would be foot a Japanese car as i've never had trouble with them to date but once it's a reliable brand i'm happy. Any suggestions appreciated.

Honda stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nissan Qashqai perhaps:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201146205683240

While it may look like a SUV but in reality it is just a tall 2wd hatchback with soft roader looks. Sounds like what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭fitzie79

Nissan quashqai looks interesting. is the quashqai plus just a bigger version?

Honda stream too bulky to pass the looks test with my I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

fitzie79 wrote: »
    Nissan quashqai looks interesting. is the quashqai plus just a bigger version?

Honda stream too bulky to pass the looks test with my I'd say

Qashqai+2 is just a bigger Qashqai with two rear seats. Same engine etc.

There is a new 1.6DCi 130bhp 4x4 option coming on stream for the Qashqai in January, this may or may not affect the price of the 1.5DCi 105bhp 4x2.

Diesel Qashqai's have been a good seller, both second hand and new, as such prices are at a slight premium.

Something else to look at is a Ford Cmax, or Smax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Qashqai+2 is a longer, 7 seat version of the regular Qashqai. They only appeared in late 2009 and I'd say you will struggle to find one within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

my sister has a 05 corolla verso, she has 3 children, when the 3rd child came alond the youngest was 1 so she had a double buggy and a single buggy (in case she only had 1 child with her) in the boot at all times. she loves it, its spacious in the back seat and when the 2 seats are down in the back the boot is a fine size.
    however her friend has the ford 7 seater, (i not sure if its a s or c max, sorry) and my sister thinks its a lot more spacious.
    hope this helps

Advertisement