Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dishwasher buying advice

Options
  • 27-12-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at buying a freestanding dishwasher, not gonna spend big money, spotted a few:

This finlux is on sale for 189 in Harvey Norman at the moment
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/finlux-free-standing-dishwasher-c13-8252.html

Nw i know they're not a big brand, and as far as I know they're Turkish, so no idea as to quality, what's drawing me is that Harvey Norman are doing a 3 year warranty for 29 extra

Next one is This indesit
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/indesit-free-standing-dishwasher-idf125k-8256.html

This is 229 and 29 extra gets a 5 year warranty

I'm kinda thinking the indesit would be decent enough and the warranty is tempting,

Anyone know if the extended warranty at Harvey Norman is actually any good?

Looked in currys and they only had currys essentialls own brand the extended warranty (2 years) was €60 extra.

I'm in Clare/Limerick, if anyone knows anywhere doing good deals, I know Sean hennessey was doing dishwashers for €129, at that price level, I wouldn't be too upset if inonly got a few years out of it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd advise you to forget an extended warranty, they are completely crap value for money as the salesman and the store where you buy pocket most of the cash as commission.

Put your money into buyng a decent brand (Bosch, Siemens etc.) instead of buying a cheapo box and then topping it up with an extended warranty because if you think you need an extended warranty, you probably do but will it cover parts and labour? You mentioned €29 for the Finlux box, there is no way that that warranty could make money and cover parts and labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They said it was parts and labour, reason I was skeptical is I saw a report on watchdog about comet and their extended warranty which didn't actually cover anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Currys PC World: Declan

coylemj wrote: »
    I'd advise you to forget an extended warranty, they are completely crap value for money as the salesman and the store where you buy pocket most of the cash as commission.

Put your money into buyng a decent brand (Bosch, Siemens etc.) instead of buying a cheapo box and then topping it up with an extended warranty because if you think you need an extended warranty, you probably do but will it cover parts and labour? You mentioned €29 for the Finlux box, there is no way that that warranty could make money and cover parts and labour.
    Apologies if I'm butting in here but I'll throw in a perspective on warranties from Currys. We don't pay commission to any of our staff to sell either product or warranties. We did years ago but we got rid of that for the very reason you're alluding to here, which was that salespeople got to be more interested in selling a warranty than in finding out the right solution for a customer.

The Currys warranty in this example looks expensive and it is. For a reason. We don't believe in extending a manufacturers warranty on appliances, most of the machines are fairly well built on their own. But of course appliances like dishwashers are a combination of water, steel and electricity so of course things can go wrong.

Our own warranty product which we call Coverplan does an awful lot more than extend the warranty. It covers anything that happens to the machine ( unless it's abused ! ) so that, if you put your keys in your washer and damage your drum then we come out and fix it. Tights is another one too that can cause all sorts of issues. So it's about what you might do that will damage your machine rather than just an extension of the manufacturer's warranty. And we do unlimited repairs, you can find with an extension to a manufacturers warranty that you have a certain amount of " credits " and, once you use them up, no more repairs are forthcoming. So, not a bad idea to read the small print, and that goes for Coverplan too.

Providing that sort of service isn't cheap and I thought it no harm to point out the difference. And underline the commission thing too. From the OP's point of view, an investment in a cheap unit plus Coverplan pretty much guarantees that we will keep the unit working over the life of the agreement. Working in appliances day to day I would still say that the more you invest in a machine the more you get out of it. I've a Miele myself and that seems to be able to take everything we can throw at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Working in appliances day to day I would still say that the more you invest in a machine the more you get out of it. .

Absolute rubbish.not these days.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish.not these days.
    A few facts would help the debate. I get a report on failure rates by brand within a 12 month period and get it every four weeks. And top of the pile is Miele, unsurprisingly. And then come the other premium brands. And the correlation between what you pay and failure rates within 12 months and what you get is pretty straightforward. You're more than welcome to your opinion and by all means propogate it but I'm simply reflecting what I see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

A few facts would help the debate. I get a report on failure rates by brand within a 12 month period and get it every four weeks. And top of the pile is Miele, unsurprisingly. And then come the other premium brands. And the correlation between what you pay and failure rates within 12 months and what you get is pretty straightforward. You're more than welcome to your opinion and by all means propogate it but I'm simply reflecting what I see.

Any chance you could post these failure rates,even a abridged version ?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

Buy a good brand I say. Buy cheap and you will be buying again in a year or so. I have a Whirlpool washer for 5 years now and it will last another 5 by the looks of it. I bought a Hotpoint Aquarius washing machine 10 years ago and it is still going strong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

My sister has Beko appliences (dishwsher,condensor dryer and washing machine) in her house,as too does my neighbour.

All appliences are heavily used each and every day,for the last 3 years,and not a single problem with any of them.

Bought cheap and cheerfull too.Not costing 400 or 500 euro either.

I also have a Beko Condensor Dryer,that cost me a "whopping" 150 euro last year and its a great bit of kit.

I just find it funny that,you being a Currys salesman,suddenly out of the blue,pop up here in this forum to quite obviously promote and try to sell expensive stuff,as its thats obvious to me.

I might be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I just find it funny that,you being a Currys salesman,suddenly out of the blue,pop up here in this forum to quite obviously promote and try to sell expensive stuff,as its thats obvious to me.

In fairness, his userid in red means that he is an accredited trade representative of which there are several on boards.ie Some like the Richer Sounds lads have their own forum, Declan from Currys contributes to several consumer forums and is entitled to pitch in his tuppence worth on their behalf.

My sister has Beko appliences (dishwsher,condensor dryer and washing machine) in her house,as too does my neighbour.

All appliences are heavily used each and every day,for the last 3 years,and not a single problem with any of them.

Bought cheap and cheerfull too.Not costing 400 or 500 euro either.

I also have a Beko Condensor Dryer,that cost me a "whopping" 150 euro last year and its a great bit of kit.

I might be wrong though.
    My agreement with boards is to run our own forum but, if there is something relevant to our business I can pop in and comment. So I do monitor any comment on Currys and if I see some inaccuracy I'll try to correct it or explain further. I felt that the commission comment on warranties was worth clarifying and also the pretty substantial difference between the extension of a manufacturer's warranty and the Coverplan product we sell. But, in general, I prefer to comment only if it's quite a significant issue or if I'm invited.

I'd probably be hung, drawn and quartered if I published manufacurer in warranty breakdown rates. But it's hardly a major surprise that Miele's simply don't break down and I don't suppose they'll argue with me quoting that. They do after all manufacture every single component in goes into every machine they make and are pretty unique in that. After that there is a fairly direct correlation between what you pay and the failure rates you see. But I don't want to exaggerate those rates. A 2 or 3 % failure rates in a 12 month period would be seen as a serious issue and many entry level machines go on for years without any problem at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭inovo

I agree with Currys & PC World: Declan to a certain extent. The initial investment is definitely worth it however appliances such as dish washers dryers and washing machines are only built to survive a handful of years. Some say use counts but its a known fact that an unused machine is as reliable as a machine which is constantly as seals and pumps can fail from lack of use as well as over use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Colm that indesit one is good for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Thanks for all the advice lads.

In the end I got a BEKO DWD4311W for 189 locally, did a bit of googling and the main criticisms people had on previous models seem to be layout and noise.

Can't fault it so far (twouldnt want to be broken after a week in fairness), there's a height adjustable top shelf and it's AAA rated and very quiet, the cutlery basket slides sideways too which is handy.

It would appear I largely ignored the advice given but I really appreciate the replies given, and I'm sure if it calves after 1 months I'll be asking ye how to fix it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jackdee

Just to add a quick reply here for what its worth, I worked in the kitchen industry for years and we sold various makes of appliances, hotpoint, indesit, beko.

3 years ago we stopped selling the cheaper brands and only sold Bosch, Siemens and Neff, as the amount of time we spent submitting service calls for the cheap appliances was ridiculous.

As with most things in life, you pay for what you get.

Advertisement