Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probably a silly question but .....

Options
  • 27-12-2011 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

As the title says, probably a silly question but how do you connect a surround sound system to a tv when you have a UPC set up?

In other words, do I connect the tv to the s/sound directly with an optical cable or connect the s/sound to the dvr unit with av cables?

I only get surround sound when watching DVDs at the mo.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

You probably need to provide some more information in terms of the makes/models of the TV, Surround sound set-up or at least list what inputs and outputs exist on each device in the chain. That way you can match up inputs with outputs, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Samsung tv & Samsung surround sound.

UPC dvr

Dvr connected to tv via scart lead.
    Surround sound connected to tv via hdmi cable.

According to surround sound manual, surround sound needs to be connected to dvr via optical lead cable except there is no optical socket on the dvr :o

However there is an optical lead OUT socket on the tv, and an optical lead IN on the surround sound.

Other than that, all there is left is audio sockets on the dvr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

You should be able to connect an optical cable from your upc box to your surround receiver.

Leave the hdmi cable connected to the tv for picture. This way you can view tv without the surround receiver turned on, eg if watching the news or can turn on the surround for when watching movies.

Hope that makes sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Sorry just copped that you said the upc box does not have an optical socket.

I am not familiar with upc dvrs but what you need to do in order to get surround sound is to connect it to your surround sound receiver. Does your upc dvr have a digital coaxial output by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Sorry just copped that you said the upc box does not have an optical socket.

I am not familiar with upc dvrs but what you need to do in order to get surround sound is to connect it to your surround sound receiver. Does your upc dvr have a digital coaxial output by any chance?

It has a digital audio out socket similiar to a jack plug.

It also has an audio out (left and right) socket similiar to a jack plug.

They are colour coded red,white and black with black being the digital socket.

• Advertisement
Advertisement