Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Corolla question

Options
  • 27-12-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi i recently bought a 01 corolla drove home last week from galway to kildare. Driving along the motorway i noticed when to got to 120 km an hour i noticed a small vibration in the car would come for about 30 seconds go away for a few minutes and come back. Does anyone know what this could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Tracking or wheel balancing? Also if you were on the n7 between Kildare and naas that bit of road is a bit odd and always makes me think I have a soft tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cheapest thing first - get the tyres rebalanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

richfly wrote: »
    Hi i recently bought a 01 corolla drove home last week from galway to kildare. Driving along the motorway i noticed when to got to 120 km an hour i noticed a small vibration in the car would come for about 30 seconds go away for a few minutes and come back. Does anyone know what this could be?

Were you holding a constant speed or where you driving at varying speeds?

Often, a wheel balancing issue will happen at a certain speed and won't be apparent above or below that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭richfly

Were you holding a constant speed or where you driving at varying speeds?

Often, a wheel balancing issue will happen at a certain speed and won't be apparent above or below that speed.

Hi i was holding a constant speed came between 100 - 120 km per hour nothing could be felt below that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

These engines are very reliable in general, Two things you have to watch are Oil level and spark plug gap. If neglected the coils can break down from trying to make enough spark.
    Check the plugs.
    Also these can suffer from pre-ignition sometimes, you can hear this as a kind of rattle, it comes and goes and sometimes you get a shudder as the ecu resets itself.
    This was rectified when these cars were new by a replacement ECU.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    These engines are very reliable in general, Two things you have to watch are Oil level and spark plug gap. If neglected the coils can break down from trying to make enough spark.
    Check the plugs.
    Also these can suffer from pre-ignition sometimes, you can hear this as a kind of rattle, it comes and goes and sometimes you get a shudder as the ecu resets itself.
    This was rectified when these cars were new by a replacement ECU.
    What would it cost to replace the ecu in these cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Dools2007

Had similar in a 95 Corolla a couple of years back. As soon as I hit 120km/h, there would be a slight vibration in the steering.

Wheel balancing / tracking sorted it. Try this first anyway.

richfly wrote: »
    What would it cost to replace the ecu in these cars?

Is it an angine problem? As in lack of power, misfire etc or a vibration in the car itself/steering wheel?

There couldn't be a mistake between the two IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I wouldn't change the ECU on the off chance.
    I would look at the wheels/tyres first then move down the list
    Plugs/coils/ then maybe the ECU which can be got from breakers for 100 euro or so with the lock set.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I wouldn't change the ECU on the off chance.
    I would look at the wheels/tyres first then move down the list
    Plugs/coils/ then maybe the ECU which can be got from breakers for 100 euro or so with the lock set.

What I'm saying is that wheels and tyres and coils/ecu etc wouldn't be on the same list.
    You either have a wheel vibration at a certain speed OR you have an engine problem.

IMO nothing about the OP's description gives the impression of an engine issue.

• Advertisement

What I'm saying is that wheels and tyres and coils/ecu etc wouldn't be on the same list.
    You either have a wheel vibration at a certain speed OR you have an engine problem.

IMO nothing about the OP's description gives the impression of an engine issue.

When i hit 100-120 km an hour the vibration would start, vibrate for around 20 - 30 seconds and go away for a couple of mins and come back again.

Advertisement