Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

washing golden lab

Options
  • 27-12-2011 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭

I.v just washed my golden lab and dried him all up as good as I could. Also brushed him. I'm sure if its what i've used but he smells worse now. I'm not sure if he's still damp or anything.

Is this normal.

Also anyone ever bring there dog into pet world for a groom. Brother whats to get him groomed and a check over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Wet dogs always smell awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Presume you used proper dog shampoo? Did you wash it off thoroughly?

If so, this is a bit off the wall but sometimes we find our water smells a bit, that's because we live out the country and the local water scheme is a bit dodgy sometimes! Could that be it?

Re Petworld, I can't comment on their grooming but what do you mean by he wants to get the dog 'checked over?' I wouldn't be getting a groomer to do any kind of checking over of your dog, that's a job for the vet really!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭cena

Tranceypoo wrote: »

If so, this is a bit off the wall but sometimes we find our water smells a bit, that's because we live out the country and the local water scheme is a bit dodgy sometimes! Could that be it?

Re Petworld, I can't comment on their grooming but what do you mean by he wants to get the dog 'checked over?' I wouldn't be getting a groomer to do any kind of checking over of your dog, that's a job for the vet really!

I think pet world in athlone do a health check on dogs etc.

Ya i used dog shampoo. Dr martins i think it was called

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

cena wrote: »

In order to provide a health check they would have to be employing a vet and I doubt very much that they do. If I wanted my temperature taken I wouldn't be booking an appointment at a hair-dressers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Tranceypoo wrote: »

A groomer is not qualified to do a health check. The can check for external parasites and clip nails but that is certainly not a health check up.

Go to a vet for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Was it Bob Martin by any chance? I used to use that and found the dog just stank when he got wet which is a lot lol. I don't really ever wash him as he swims a lot but when I do I use Furminator shampoo. They do a waterless spray which I found brilliant for after he's had a swim - you just spray it on no need to rinse off.
    If you wanted him checked over take him to the vet tbh - it'll probably work out cheaper than the groom!

tk123 wrote: »
    Was it Bob Martin by any chance? I used to use that and found the dog just stank when he got wet which is a lot lol. I don't really ever wash him as he swims a lot but when I do I use Furminator shampoo. They do a waterless spray which I found brilliant for after he's had a swim - you just spray it on no need to rinse off.
    If you wanted him checked over take him to the vet tbh - it'll probably work out cheaper than the groom!

It was the bob stuff.

I may have read the sign it wrong. It was christmas eve when I went in and out in a hurry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Never used the bob martin stuff. I use johnstons dog shampoo. I notice the lab (short coat) can smell afterwards where as my quick drying long haired german is fine, he drys off very quickly with a little towel dry. It's just that the lab takes longer to dry out and if shes still damp she will smell a bit. I usually let her lie on a hot towel after washing her as she is always still damp after the initial towel rub.

Out of interest how often do people wash their dogs. I tend to just shower them down with warm water and towel dry them when they get particularly muddy, and only using the dog shampoo once in a blue moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Petworld in Athlone had an open day last year sometime. They had a vet in all day doing free check ups but appointments went quick. Also had groomer offers and different special offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

I have a yellow labrador and the hair is denser than others so therefore takes longer to dry that other types of dog hair. It could be just a wet dog hair smell you are smelling.

If the dog has bad breath check the teeth might need descaling which is done by vets. Also ears can be dirty, or have ear mites. If you are concerned go to the vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

As someone who does grooming in college I can tell you that all wet dogs smell some more than others. Stay away from bob Martins, anything with that name will be rubbish.

I wash my own dog with johnsons baby shampoo at home and when he comes to college with my he gets washed with wahls.
    I think he's had a bath twice since ive had him, he is 14 months and I've had him since he was 8 weeks, and he actually does not smell, I thought I had just gotten lucky until i spoke to one of my tutors about it, she asked me what I was feeding him, I am feeding him Arden Grange which is a high quality food and she said that is the reason he doesn't smell. So maybe take a look at his diet.

Also there are some doggy deodorants but I have found mixing them with smelly dog smell can be vomit inducing do be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Bob Martins left my guys with a pretty nasty smell (as far as I remember, we ended up washing them again a few days later and binned the shampoo) so it could be the shampoo.

Labs can be pretty smelly dogs in general, particularly when wet. It is one of the "perks" of the breed :p Your dog may smell due to the food he is on (some dogs don't do too well on certain foods and they can end up itchy and smelly) so this may be something to look at too.

I have found the best way to get dogs fresh and not damp smelling after being washed it to wash them twice (as in wash, rinse, repeat), rinse with fresh water (from a shower, not scooping it up from the bath) and get them dry as quickly as possible (so, plonk the dog on a towel beside a warm heater or some thing). Getting a Lab dry, fast, can be a challenge due to their short, dense coat. Using a nice smelling shampoo always helps too - me personal favourites are Pet Head or a good baby shampoo.

Bob Martins left my guys with a pretty nasty smell (as far as I remember, we ended up washing them again a few days later and binned the shampoo) so it could be the shampoo.

Labs can be pretty smelly dogs in general, particularly when wet. It is one of the "perks" of the breed :p Your dog may smell due to the food he is on (some dogs don't do too well on certain foods and they can end up itchy and smelly) so this may be something to look at too.

I have found the best way to get dogs fresh and not damp smelling after being washed it to wash them twice (as in wash, rinse, repeat), rinse with fresh water (from a shower, not scooping it up from the bath) and get them dry as quickly as possible (so, plonk the dog on a towel beside a warm heater or some thing). Getting a Lab dry, fast, can be a challenge due to their short, dense coat. Using a nice smelling shampoo always helps too - me personal favourites are Pet Head or a good baby shampoo.

I never knew you could use baby shampoo on dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

On some dogs you can, I know when I mentioned it to our groomers they said that some dogs reacted to it, some didn't.
    My little one reacts to most shampoos, the medicated one (that is apparently used for westies skin) made her worse.
    We got one from the vet called Nutrale or Naturale or something and they're ok with that one.

I too would steer clear of BobMartin products

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

I use the baby shampoo too.

Also get the dog used to the noise of your hair dryer, you will find he
    Won't smell once he is dryed after the bath ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Yeah, I use it quite a bit on all my guys and on any other dogs that have come into the house - cheap and cheerful, and they smell lovely afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

Out of interest how often do people wash their dogs. I tend to just shower them down with warm water and towel dry them when they get particularly muddy, and only using the dog shampoo once in a blue moon.

I give my JRT about 4 showers a year and use EIRPET shampoo. He tends to start smelling a bit doggie after 8 weeks or so. smells great after a shower.. He swims loads too.

Advertisement