Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance: Psychiatry covered but not Psychologist

Options
  • 27-12-2011 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi I considered posting this in the Access,Disability and Mobility section but I wanted to reach a Psychology audience.

I currently see a Psychotherapist (as well as study Counselling myself!) but this doesn't appear to be covered under any health insurance plans that I know of. I have Aviva me plan level 2. More than 3 visits to a Psychiatrist would however entitle me to refund. I've scoured all Aviva plans and there appears only to be mention of Psychiatric care,none of Psychotherapy.

Does anyone know of any plans which do cover Psychotherapy?.

But more importantly I think professionals need to petition the Health Insurance Companies to change their policies.

F

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Insurers see psychology as a bottomless pit for something they can't quite understand. You best bet may be for the psychiatrist to in some way prescribe the psychologist / psychotherapist or see what support you can get from the HSE.

Advertisement