Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats The Best Keyboard For Home Recording...

Options
  • 27-12-2011 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering what keyboard people would recommend for home recording with a mac..

would like one with a good array of sounds etc...

budget of about 1500...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

What are you using on your computer to record? And what kind of music do you want to play?

If you're using a DAW with some good VSTs or AUs or whatever, you wouldn't need to spend anywhere near €1500 on a keyboard - unless you're a classical pianist who absolutely needs a really good feel from the keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭TheFiveLamps

application wise i would be using Garageband or Logic...

im not a classical pianist so touch wouldnt be overly important but it would be nice...

which music shop would have the best collection of keyboards/synth's?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

application wise i would be using Garageband or Logic...

im not a classical pianist so touch wouldnt be overly important but it would be nice...

which music shop would have the best collection of keyboards/synth's?

Xmusic by the Red Cow Inn or Musicmaker on Exchequer Street. I know musicmaker have a good few synths and keyboards, moog korg roland. Xmusic only really sell Roland as far as I'm aware.

If you're using Logic you'd be best off getting a MIDI controller I think. Something like an M-Audio Axiom or Novation SL would be cool. Load up your synthesisers and samplers as VSTs and you've got millions of software instruments ready to be played with a keyboard. And you'll get a deadly keyboard for hundreds rather than thousands if you go the MIDI controller route.

well im looking to get something more along the lines of a juno gi or Korg M50 perhaps...

was just wondering if anyone could recommend a certain model etc?

something that has good quality orchestra sounds etc...

• Advertisement

well im looking to get something more along the lines of a juno gi or Korg M50 perhaps...

was just wondering if anyone could recommend a certain model etc?

something that has good quality orchestra sounds etc...

Honestly, if you don't know exactly what model you want yourself, you're better off going with software instruments. Hardware instruments are specific and very expensive, while a setup for playing software instruments is comparatively very cheap, and completely open-ended. If you have to ask for suggestions on what hardware to get, you don't want it badly enough to justify the money.

You could spend a grand on a Korg M50, and be stuck with a Korg M50. Or spend like €160 on an M Audio Oxygen 61 keyboard that can play any software instrument you want, and then another few bob for an orchestral sample libraries, of which there are tons. If you want great orchestral sounds, this is the best way to go...

Also, you can demo a load of software and find the best ones for you, you can't demo hardware at home before you buy. All you need to buy up front is a MIDI keyboard, and there'll never be a studio situation where you wish you didn't have a MIDI controller. You might, however, regret buying a big hardware instrument you end up not using so much ;)

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Honestly, if you don't know exactly what model you want yourself, you're better off going with software instruments. Hardware instruments are specific and very expensive, while a setup for playing software instruments is comparatively very cheap, and completely open-ended. If you have to ask for suggestions on what hardware to get, you don't want it badly enough to justify the money.

You could spend a grand on a Korg M50, and be stuck with a Korg M50. Or spend like €160 on an M Audio Oxygen 61 keyboard that can play any software instrument you want, and then another few bob for an orchestral sample libraries, of which there are tons. If you want great orchestral sounds, this is the best way to go...

Also, you can demo a load of software and find the best ones for you, you can't demo hardware at home before you buy. All you need to buy up front is a MIDI keyboard, and there'll never be a studio situation where you wish you didn't have a MIDI controller. You might, however, regret buying a big hardware instrument you end up not using so much ;)

So,let me get this straight,because i asked for recommendations on what hardware instrument is useful,means i should buy software instruments? and because i asked for suggestions means i dont want one badly enough? i was simply doing some research and asking for advice/opinions before i make a purchase.

I dont purely want a keyboard for orchestral sounds! i just want a good keyboard that has realistic orchestral sounds etc...

im pretty sure most if not all music shops have demo models on display to use/sample before you buy?

i play piano already regardless so whatever option i do decide for wont exactly go to waste.. i already can play piano and already know how to use some recording equipment,on the other hand,i wouldn't have the best knowledge on software instruments/midi controllers etc

So,let me get this straight,because i asked for recommendations on what hardware instrument is useful,means i should buy software instruments? and because i asked for suggestions means i dont want one badly enough? i was simply doing some research and asking for advice/opinions before i make a purchase.

I dont purely want a keyboard for orchestral sounds! i just want a good keyboard that has realistic orchestral sounds etc...

im pretty sure most if not all music shops have demo models on display to use/sample before you buy?

i play piano already regardless so whatever option i do decide for wont exactly go to waste.. i already can play piano and already know how to use some recording equipment,on the other hand,i wouldn't have the best knowledge on software instruments/midi controllers etc

Hey, I didn't mean that exactly the way you took it there, sorry. I just figured, if you're gonna part with €1500 for a bit of gear you should know exactly what you want without having to ask for suggestions... It seemed like you just wanted some kind of instrument without any specifics and €1500 is a lot of money to spend on someone else's recommendations. If you're playing the field, so to speak, software's definitely the handiest way to get a feel for what you're into and what you're not.

You know how to play piano and work some studio gear, sure, but the principles are exactly the same on computer programs, it's just cheaper and handier...

So maybe I came across as being anti-hardware, but you're defo being anti-software. By your criteria (you can play a keyboard and work some studio gear, want some orchestral sounds but plenty of other sounds too), a MIDI controller and a softsynth and sampler would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Moved to Music Production.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭numbnutz

Hi Fivelamps
    I understand where you're coming from here but El Pron is right here just cool the jets and put your thinking head on for a minute.I used to have a collection of synths 01W(X2),M1,EMU Proteus,D110,JD800,EMU Emax to name a few so thats a lot of space to occupy but I've been using soft synths for nearly 14 years and have been through quite a lot of them, some ridiculously cheap and nasty but some so sonically exquisite you actually cant believe what you got for your money.The modelling of hardware synths is so accurate and has been for years now it is hard to tell the difference and in some cases they sound even better than what you remembered they were like.I think half the problem is people cant get their head around a piece of software is doing this.
    For me its a Yamaha P60 (for feel) and a four octave midi controller for drum programming running Cubase VST with a large number of software synths.I havent been happier since I've been using software synthsand more are coming on the market all the time.
    So before you splash out on hardware consider the software alternative its really the way forward.

You could buy yourself a yamaha P95 B and Komplete 8...there saved ya 500 euro..;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Hey,

Just wondering what keyboard people would recommend for home recording with a mac..

would like one with a good array of sounds etc...

budget of about 1500...

For that money you could get a great "stage" (Stages are built/designed for gigging)

Once it does midi, it does midi - you have your controller. Anything else is a bonus.

What I absolutely love is the new Korg vintage stage - they have one upstairs in Musicmaker. If you buy it, I'd like to come around to your house and play it :)

It's a really high quality piece of kit - it's nice and portable too. You could use it for your recording and then gigging. I love it, I think it's really beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

If you're dead set against the software/midi controller route, I'd go for the Korg too. It's amazing. The 73 key version is under your budget from Thomann.

That being said, pretty much every feature on it is available through software for either free, or relatively cheap. A really, really good midi keyboard with fully weighted keys etc etc is gonna be around 6-700 quid.

It all comes down to whether you'll be using it live or not. Software is something you should be getting into anyway, and you will, believe me.

But software isn't as portable, or at least it isn't unless you want to bring a laptop and soundcard, or software host like Receptor or a V-machine.

A dedicated keyboard is limited to whatever sounds are on board. A midi keyboard is virtually unlimited in what it can control. And you never know what sounds you will want in the future.

Regardless, do your own research. Watch videos. Read multiple reviews. Try some out yourself. If you find one you like go away and think on it a while. Do not take the advice of anyone without first doing those things.

pinksoir wrote: »

That being said, pretty much every feature on it is available through software for either free, or relatively cheap. A really, really good midi keyboard with fully weighted keys etc etc is gonna be around 6-700 quid.

There are a lot of weighted midi keyboards around at the minute. A lot have really ugly action. That Korg is really beautiful to play.

If I had the cash, I'd run out an buy one. There are some fantastic stage pianos out there - but you do need to know your onions. Nord make beautiful stages too, but they're really expensive.

The sounds on the Korg are great in themselves. SONY are doing a stage, and the sounds sound like the worst PC midi piano sound you could imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Yup. No doubt. Doepfer do great midi keyboards, but the CME (Chinese made) UF80 is a great choice too, and it's nearly half the price.

I don't really think action is that important so long as it's not truly awful. If you want piano action, get a piano (Though I've played pianos with awful action too).

The Korg is a dream though. Very reasonable price for what it is too, especially compared to similar Rolands, for example. By all accounts it seems like the perfect vintage keys emulator. However, the OP is looking for 'orchestral sounds', so it may not be for him. It has strings but they seem to be very much emulations of string machines.

Obviously, the Korg has midi too anyway, so it's all about how much you have, and are willing to, spend. If I'd the money, and there wasn't a ton of other things I already want before it, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Stupid GAS...

The reason I prefer to get hardware is because I'd have the option of using it live too...

The reason I prefer to get hardware is because I'd have the option of using it live too...

I gig with a laptop. Most MIDI controllers are pretty light little things, most hardware synthesisers/samplers are heavy enough. A laptop, audio interface, and your signal and data cables is a small, light backpack's worth of gear, and a MIDI controller in a softcase is no bother to carry. Definitely buss/train friendly (I can vouch for that). A 76 key workstation would be way more difficult to move around.

The go for something like the Korg. What you're looking for is as stage piano. If you want a look at them, upstairs in Musicmaker is the place to go.

With a midi keyboard and soft synths you have to deal with latency - there's a slight time difference between when you hit the note and when it sounds. This is a real pain in the arse. And will limit the kind of music you can make. You can always record the midi notes and put them through the soft synths on the sequencer.

If you have €1500 to spend - buy the korg. It'll cover more of your needs than you even realise you have.

Cheers,i tried out the Korg in MusicMaker the other day and it sounded really good,i also tried out the rolando Juno Di And Gi and both sounded good too...

Cheers,i tried out the Korg in MusicMaker the other day and it sounded really good,i also tried out the rolando Juno Di And Gi and both sounded good too...

I'd go with the Korg. I think it's a work horse for many reasons. Don't be too impressed by the Roland's sounds - if you want milk, it doesn't mean you have to buy the whole cow. The biggest drawback would be the plasticky keys - you can make heavy fully weighted piano like keys sound and play like plasticky keys, but you can't do it the other way around. Piano playing/sounds on the Korg will always sound better than the Roland.

And really, I don't think Roland are offering anything ground breaking, just threading water. Whereas Korg, seem to be going head to head with Nord.

The Korg is something you'll grow into - the Roland's are something I think you'll grow out of really quickly. And wished you'd bought the Korg.

Advertisement