Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local shows

Options
  • 27-12-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so another thread got me thinking, how many on here have never been to a local show?

With that asked how mant plan on going to 1 this year?

I'd love to see new faces try out local MMA show's and at least give it a try, i think most would be pleasantly suprised and would get a new love for MMA so i'm asking people if they can! to try 1, any show From Cage contender to Battlezone to Man of war and then to come back and give feedback on your experiences

Opinion or questions on Irish MMA all welcome here..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I've gotta hold my hands up and say i've not been to a local show, been to 6 UFC events but never a local show.

That's gonna change next year though as i'm gonna go to as many as possible.

Last year was so hard, every time i planned on going to one i was rostered in to work that night, EVERY FCUKIN TIME!!!!

It's my New Years resolution though to get to at least 6 local shows in the coming year and i plan on sticking to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

went to one this year and plan to increase that by at least 300% next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

scudzilla wrote: »
    I've gotta hold my hands up and say i've not been to a local show, been to 6 UFC events but never a local show.

That's gonna change next year though as i'm gonna go to as many as possible.

Last year was so hard, every time i planned on going to one i was rostered in to work that night, EVERY FCUKIN TIME!!!!

It's my New Years resolution though to get to at least 6 local shows in the coming year and i plan on sticking to it

You're only up the road from me, if we're going to the same event I'd gladly hook up and introduce you to a few of the fighter's and coaches on the scene.

I done similar with a forum member here for CCVIII (Cowzer-V-Coady - was that 8?) - he was over the moon with the experience.

I once slagged off some here as 'UFC fanboys' and have been eating my words since, but we all post something cringe worthy once in awhile so I forgive myself :p

For me local show's are where its at.. Good thread Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Watching guys u know fight is way more exciting than watching the UFC IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

I've only been to a couple of local shows, but I reckon I'll be able to afford to go to a lot of shows next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I am also ashamed to say that, due to my long long time as a broke student and then my post-graduation move out of ireland, I have never been to a local show in Ireland.

However, this thread reminded me that having seen the line-up for Cage Contenders XII and then seeing the price of the tickets, I was baffled as to how such a quality card could possibly have tickets for as little as they are. I mean, I remember saying on a previous CC thread that the care i watched on TV was possibly the best MMA card i'd ever seen.

Tickets booked for CC XII for myself and 4 of my mates. Gonna get to as many local shows as I can this year too. Would also be cool to actually meet a few of the lads from this board in real life. Hopefully I don't get too many punches in the face for my argumentative nature on here, i'm actually the complete opposite when I haven't got my Internet Warrior boxer shorts on :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Tickets booked for CC XII for myself and 4 of my mates. Gonna get to as many local shows as I can this year too. Would also be cool to actually meet a few of the lads from this board in real life. Hopefully I don't get too many punches in the face for my argumentative nature on here, i'm actually the complete opposite when I haven't got my Internet Warrior boxer shorts on :P

Aren't we all - Cowzer is always telling me I'm a grumpy bollox online but I think its just my writing style - I'm a pussy IRL.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Aren't we all - Cowzer is always telling me I'm a grumpy bollox online but I think its just my writing style - I'm a pussy IRL.

Lol! Well my writing style must be horrible. I've lost count of the number of times I've been called. a "pain in the arse" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Lol! Well my writing style must be horrible. I've lost count of the number of times I've been called. a "pain in the arse" :p

9,432 times and counting :p

You pain in the arse...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I've been too a few local shows and i really enjoyed them. Since i got sick i really miss being able to go to them...very much look forward to getting better and going to loads more.

Between the local shows and the UFC i went to I enjoyed the local shows a lot more. The UFC was a great spectacle but something about the local ones made me find them far more entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

I've been to about 10 shows over the last couple of years and 3 or 4 in the last year or so.

I'd like to get to more shows but living in Galway and always having to travel to shows makes it expensive.

Prefer local shows when I know some of the fighters to the UFC, it's way more exciting to see your friends in the cage after all the hard training you know they put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I only really discovered there even was a local scene this year and since then I've been to Battlezone, CageWarriors, and Cage Contender. I tried to get to more but just couldn't for one reason or another. I hope to get to lots more in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Been to a few but would love to see more. A lot of the shows are held in Dublin or up North and so it makes it hard for people from the south west to get to these shows (well the poor people like me anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

You're only up the road from me, if we're going to the same event I'd gladly hook up and introduce you to a few of the fighter's and coaches on the scene.

I done similar with a forum member here for CCVIII (Cowzer-V-Coady - was that 8?) - he was over the moon with the experience.

I once slagged off some here as 'UFC fanboys' and have been eating my words since, but we all post something cringe worthy once in awhile so I forgive myself :p

For me local show's are where its at.. Good thread Paul.

Nice one, a great offer and one i'll take you up on for sure.

Still have to meet up wit yer dogs at some point too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I've only been to one so far, but had a cracking time (as did the girlfriend).

Would highly recommend people head along to a local show - I'm hoping to get to a good few more this year myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

Never been and no plans to go this year. Nothing against the local scene, just a bit of a hermit is all, plus babysitters are hard to get! Happy enough watching UFC on TV for the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

been to a good few local shows and havent been disappointed yet. the fights are normally brilliant and its great value for money. hopefully ill get to a few more in 2012 starting with the next CC in tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

The club shows bring in much needed funds to help support the up and coming talent by helping to pay rents, get equipment and help fund coaching

They are vital for young talent to get started so people should make an effort to get to them as it helps secure a strong future for MMA within the country

Plus they are a great buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Only been to the most local so far, i.e Chaos and training at Evolve (or at least used to, lazy git) I'd be a bit of a git if I didn't go!

Wouldn't mind adding in some of the bigger national ones too though, Belfast etc.

Been to 2 and a half Chaos shows though and they have been great. Brought a friend too and he was most impressed with the quality of production and the fights themselves. Couldn't really point out a crap fight and have seen a few absolute crackers.

(
    that OK Jason? 1 month's free sub should cover that PR...
    :D)

Advertisement