Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University in the USA

Options
  • 27-12-2011 6:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place, so mods move if necessary.
    All my life I have wanted to go to college in america. I always wanted to do something to do with computers, as I am good with them and know alot. I have a couple of questions I would hope someone can answer.

1) Is there a certain college in America dedicated to the likes of Computer Courses?

2) Would I be better off going to college over here first? I finish school when 18, and will be 21 before I wish to head to America.

3) How would they know whether im acceptable or not? Surely they wouldn't accept my leaving/junior cert.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Might be better in the Studying Abroad forum. Moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place, so mods move if necessary.
    All my life I have wanted to go to college in america. I always wanted to do something to do with computers, as I am good with them and know alot. I have a couple of questions I would hope someone can answer.

1) Is there a certain college in America dedicated to the likes of Computer Courses?

2) Would I be better off going to college over here first? I finish school when 18, and will be 21 before I wish to head to America.

3) How would they know whether im acceptable or not? Surely they wouldn't accept my leaving/junior cert.

Thanks in advance.

1-MIT/Caltech/Stanford are world leaders in Computer Science

2-It depends, if you get a fully funded scholarship go when you're 18. If you are not funded don't bother, you'll jsut cripple yourself with mountains of debt. If you're heading when you're 21 you'll be aiming to do an Msc or a PHD. Msc funding is non-existent (I've been looking for it myself) but PHD funding in the US is relatively plentiful in the sciences.

3-US postgrad applications involve GREs/Interviews/3rd Level Results etc.

Undergrad applications need excellent academic results/Interviews/great extra-curricular activites etc.

To be honest OP, you need to do some serious research if this is a path you really wish to go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wow18

95% of the leading US colleges have Computer Courses. obviously
    only fews can get in...

try using us college directories...

http://academyrank.com/country.php?name=United%20States

Advertisement