Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bernese Mountain Dog FOOD

Options
  • 27-12-2011 3:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a puppy food for a Bernese Mountain Dog?
    The OH got me my new puppy for Christmas, she is just gorgeous!!!!
    She is 16 weeks old and huge!!!
    We are looking for a good food for her, (any except Royal Canine, which doesn't agree with our Yorkie).

Also can anyone tell me anything about dewclaws? She has two on each back paw and one on each front paw. Are they not supposed to be removed or can they stay, we are taking her to the vet when it reopens to ask her about them but any advice from here would be great beforehand.
    Thanks everyone :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

There is no need to remove dew claws if they are not bothering her or getting caught on things. As she gets bigger, if they become a problem, your vet could remove them while she is being spayed. Your vet will be able to tell you costs and if there is potential for problems in the future.

Some good food brands for a larger breed (and a Yorkie too!) are Burns, James Wellbeloved, Pro Pac, Arden Grange... there are lots out there! Personally, I would go for James Wellbeloved because it works well with sensitive stomachs and isn't too high in protein (very important for a giant breed puppy - you don't want them growing too fast, just slow and steady to avoid any joint issues) while still being a great food.

Would love to see pics (cheeky!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Hi I have a Bernese who is nearly 7 and has been on Byrnes chicken & rice since he was a pup but the thing about the Bernese is that they will eat anything, and I mean anything...socks, bras, stones, plastic bags... anything.

I hope you enjoy her as they are the most amazing dogs, just be wary of any silences in other rooms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 aiseiri47

The main thing is to make sure it's suitable for a large breed puppy - James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange and Wafcol are all good hypoallergenic brands that should cater for large breeds. Hill's Science Plan, Clinivet and Red Mills Leader are also good quality brands. RC is an excellent food, too, even if it didn't suit your Yorkie - your Yorkie and BMD shouldn't be eating the same food anyway, as they're nutritional needs are very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I recommend Clinivet too. My 2 rotties are on it and they are in fab condition. I dotn rate Royal Canin at al. It has caused my dogs to break out in really bad hot spots so i would avoid it to be honest.

Clinivet can be ordered online on their site and their delivery is free too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Clinivet is on offer in Pet Mania atm ;)

• Advertisement

Oh really TK? How much is it and which Petmania is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

andreac wrote: »
    Oh really TK? How much is it and which Petmania is that?

They have it in the Santry one but I can't remember how much it was - sorry!

No worries, might give them a call tomorrow and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Wizard01

Hi guys, thanks for all the help, I think we might try Burn's but not 100% sure yet, still looking at different ones!!!

Does anyone have Kongs for their dogs? Just wondering where you get them, there is none in our local petshop.

I can't upload a photo, not sure if i'm doing it right though :rolleyes: It just keeps saying service unavailable!

[/QUOTE]

They won't be eating the same food but when we got my yorkie we were feeding him Royal Canin but all his hair fell out, he looked like a hairless dog, our vet said this food is too rich for dogs do I don't want to take the chance again, imagine a bald BMD :eek:

http://http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/z453/Wizard011/?action=view&current=SDC13957.jpg

Advertisement