Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spontaneous Racing

Options
  • 26-12-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Spontane-Race is a non-profitable organisation, which aims to bring the fun, friendly and exciting aspect into running.

People will be told about the race a week before it takes place but with very little detail about it.

Race location, distance and terrain.

Spontane-race will hopefully get social joggers, runners and others into the environment of being in a race situation rather than going for a run on their own or with a friend.

Spread the word and after the first 200 friends on Facebook
    http://en-gb.facebook.com/public/Spontane-Race-Series
    or fans on Twitter
    https://twitter.com/#!/SpontaneRace
    the first race of Spontane-Race will be held.

Thanks for the support and hopefully see you...well....thats the spontaneous part!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

This is perfect for me, I was thinking I should throw out all training schedules and goals etc. The hassle of deciding what race to train for is such a drag, much better to let strangers dictate this to me. A week you say, that's perfect. I know you say you're non-profit, but is there any way I can just give you my CC details as a thank-you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SpeedyDude

Haha no need my fellow running friend. No entry fee for races, you just provide your own water and that. Surprise chocolate treats for some finishers. It'll be great fun!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

Might be fun every now and again. Hopefully it'll bring more races in Dublin area and not mostly short distance races as it's the case actually. Will you organise 10 to HM races?

My aim is to start with small races, get in the novice runners and make Spontane-Race something to look forward to by all. I wouldn't lash out having the first event HM.:) I will be organising various of distances, terrain and styles of races, some might have a few obstacles in them. hopefully accommodating everyone's taste. To answer the question directly, yes I will be organising longer distance events with the idea to prepare people for other large events approaching. Suggestions towards what type of races to organise and accomplish will also be up to the runners. After all, It's an idea to give back to the running community. Think of it as a way to do group running with strangers with main focus on having a bit of a laugh and social gathering. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Great idea but have you got insurance? :eek:

• Advertisement

No. It's organised group running publicized on social medias. A way of gathering like-minded people together to share our interest. Nobody is pushed into situations they don't approve of, routes will be mapped in a way of avoiding any hazards and runners will be expected to provide for them selves in terms of water and other necessities they require. Large containers of water will be at finish line for people but will be expected of runners to provide for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Just sent a friend request. Will follow with interest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have you thought of trying to setup a parkrun event? The structure already exists of what is needed and there will probably be people willing to help get things going from the ones already running in Belfast if you ask them nicely.

Great to see the interest booming since the Christmas. Thanks for the link, will definitely check them out. Remember, spread the word and once we get the 200 members we'll have our event. Looking forward to seeing you all

• Registered Users Posts: 25 monkey90

Great idea, I sent a friend request there. Look forward to hearing about the first race

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Bit about the parkruns in Belfast on BBC Radio Foyle this morning.

Not sure if it is IP blocked or not, but at 43:45 minutes in is where it starts if you can play it:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b01945mn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Your on holidays but never miss your Radio Foyle:pac:

Advertisement