Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain with kids but not a package holiday

Options
  • 26-12-2011 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

We're thinking about heading to Spain with the family next summer and I'd like to go somewhere that's not the usual package holiday thing. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good city/large town, preferably coastal and not in the south, that has plenty for the kids (14, 5 and 2) but also a place where they can get a feel for the country and the culture of Spain.

I'm thinking about somewhere like Santander/Girona/San Sebastian/Coruna. Would be looking to stay in a house/apartment for the week rather than a hotel.

The main problem I'm finding is the cost of flights. It seems to be at least 600 quid for the five of us but it seems that if I don't go down the package holiday route that's what I have to pay. Any recommendations/advice help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Would have thought €600 for 5 people was a pretty good price to be honest

Don't have much experience of Spain but stayed in Estapona a couple of years back, about 70km south of Malaga, not your typical Costa town, close to Gibralta and places like Rhonda & Casares, rented a two bed apartment in the Belgravia Club, €600/week, you would need a car though.

Don't know if there is much for teenagers though as we didn't have any with us so were not really looking, happy enough to go back there so the wife tells me :)

Another option may be Tarragona, a short train journey from Portaventura theme park and an hour or so from Barcelona

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I know its the south but Nerja is pretty Spanish feeling, its also within touching distance of Cordoba, Granada and one of my favorites Rhonda, all of which are amazing and doable as day trips. Plenty of sights to see and you get a beach resort that is nothing like the standard package resort

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Would have thought €600 for 5 people was a pretty good price to be honest

Don't have much experience of Spain but stayed in Estapona a couple of years back, about 70km south of Malaga, not your typical Costa town, close to Gibralta and places like Rhonda & Casares, rented a two bed apartment in the Belgravia Club, €600/week, you would need a car though.

Don't know if there is much for teenagers though as we didn't have any with us so were not really looking, happy enough to go back there so the wife tells me :)

Another option may be Tarragona, a short train journey from Portaventura theme park and an hour or so from Barcelona

We were actually in Tarragona a couple of years ago, great little spot.

Yep 600 quid is pretty good for five people, I just meant that if you're starting off from that and then throw in accommodation and spending money it can spiral into a very expensive holiday. But I suppose you have to be prepared to spend a bit extra if you're not doing the package thing.

Estepona sounds ok but just trying to avoid the south for the moment. Thanks for the tips though.:)

M5 wrote: »
    I know its the south but Nerja is pretty Spanish feeling, its also within touching distance of Cordoba, Granada and one of my favorites Rhonda, all of which are amazing and doable as day trips. Plenty of sights to see and you get a beach resort that is nothing like the standard package resort

I've heard a lot of good things about Nerja and Ronda, but again we'll probably just stick to further north. But they're both definitely on the list for future holidays!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

I've been to San Sebastian before and it's a beautiful city. Two beaches right in the centre of town and lots of fab little cafes and restaurants.

Don't have kids so I'm wouldn't have specifics on activities but it is quite touristy despite not being a package destination (as a lot of Spanish seem to holiday there) so I don't think you'd have any problems on that front.

I think Aerlingus fly to SS and Ryanair fly to Biarritz so you might be able to pick up some good deals on flights.

• Advertisement

We were actually in Tarragona a couple of years ago, great little spot.

Yep 600 quid is pretty good for five people, I just meant that if you're starting off from that and then throw in accommodation and spending money it can spiral into a very expensive holiday. But I suppose you have to be prepared to spend a bit extra if you're not doing the package thing.

Estepona sounds ok but just trying to avoid the south for the moment. Thanks for the tips though.:)

We have been doing DIY holidays for a number of years now, haven't found that they work out any cheaper than a package holiday but what you do get is your destination of choice and generally speaking more bang for your buck, i.e. 2 bed apt rather than a 1 bed etc.

Have also heard really good things about Biarritz, San Sebastian & Bilbao in the Basque country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 THart

Ryanair have good deals at the moment to Reus and Girona, look out for the days that have Free Taxes and you should get all five of you away for under Euro500. Then travel inland away from the coast and the accommodation prices drop dramatically. The only thing is keeping the teenagers entertained. Like you, I prefer the more traditional Spain, but my kids want to be in the centre of the action, which generally means the bigger resorts! I found Estepona on the south coast to be a happy medium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ReallyWiggy

Have been in a similar line of thought for the past few days and very used to booking our own holidays but I can't get over the price of the flights this year. In previous years the airlines [mostly Ryanair] would offer good deals even in peak season but feel like now the entry point is quite high. I can't seem to find a flight to anywehre in Spain/Italy/Sth France in late June for under €1000 for 2AD 3CH and a couple of bags. Not so long ago we were getting flights for ~ €400 which was great.

If last year is anything to go by they won't be doing flash sales either between now and then.

Anyone know of a good charter airline site where you can book directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 merrywanderer

I second the other posters recommendation for San Sebastian. There is also a great aquarium there by the harbour that the children will love - with shark feeding time and all.

I used http://www.friendlyrentals.com/ for an apartment rental, flew to Biarritz with Ryanair and got the train then to San Sebastian,

Also Maribels Guides - very informative guides for this area http://maribelsguides.com/

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Decided to go to Barcelona in the end as our trip was brought forward by a week to the start of May. Got flights for the five of us for 580, in with Ryanair and back with Aer Lingus. Question now is where to stay.

Has anyone ever been in Sitges? I've heard mixed reports from people over the years. Looks like an interesting place, well connected to Barcelona and the airport by train, which will be important for us.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Decided to go to Barcelona in the end as our trip was brought forward by a week to the start of May. Got flights for the five of us for 580, in with Ryanair and back with Aer Lingus. Question now is where to stay.

Has anyone ever been in Sitges? I've heard mixed reports from people over the years. Looks like an interesting place, well connected to Barcelona and the airport by train, which will be important for us.

It's supposed to be very popular with the gay community if that matters to you, either way I imagine it will be fairly quiet in early May

It's supposed to be very popular with the gay community if that matters to you, either way I imagine it will be fairly quiet in early May

I was vaguely aware of that but didn't realise just how gay popular it was until I did a bit of research. It wouldn't bother me personally at all but with a family in tow, while we wouldn't exactly be placing our hands over their eyes, we'd certainly have to do a bit of homework regarding the gay and nudist beaches that Sitges has!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭FunkyDa2

http://www.hotels-world.pl/b/h/aparthotel_miramar-236827-en

http://www.oh-barcelona.com/en/barcelona-apartments/barceloneta/?gclid=CIfKz5CkvK0CFUwc4QodITQF-w

Two links - the first is for Badalona, and the second is for Barceloneta.

Barceloneta is the city beach for Barcelona, and is within walking distance of the city. Badalona is a coastal suburb, three/four stops along the commuter line. Both beaches are backed by bars, chiringuitos, and restaurants.
    Badalona is self contained with it's own shopping streets.

Further up the coast lies Blanes, another pleasant spot. It's an hour, on the train from Barcelona. There are many places in between Barcelona and Blanes(it's one long beach all the way), but we prefer to stay in Blanes.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Was about to recommend San Sebastian - fantastic city. We stayed in an apartment and really lived like locals for a week (booked with friendly rentals actually)

I was actually coming on here to post a very similar thread except I'd like recommendations for the south - some good ones above, thanks - as we've never actually been to the south of Spain, north, north-east, north-west - yes, but never the south!

Any other recommendations?

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Was about to recommend San Sebastian - fantastic city. We stayed in an apartment and really lived like locals for a week (booked with friendly rentals actually)

I was actually coming on here to post a very similar thread except I'd like recommendations for the south - some good ones above, thanks - as we've never actually been to the south of Spain, north, north-east, north-west - yes, but never the south!

Any other recommendations?

We went to Malaga a few years ago and were pleasantly surprised by it. Admittedly it was February and there weren't that many tourists around but the city itself is a great place. Anyway most tourists only see the airport at Malaga and then head off along the coast to the high rises so even if you go in mid-summer you should be able to still get a real flavour of the city itself.

We also made a day visit to Granada, just an hour and a half away by road. I'd love to go back and stay there for two or three days. We visited the Alhambra gardens and that alone is enough of a reason to go there. The walk around the gardens is incredible and the views of the Sierra Nevada mountains are amazing. The city itself is nice and compact, food is legendary and plenty of bars and restaurants to keep you happy if that's your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Apologies for unearthing an old thread but feels like the most applicable.

We have been going to Portugal for many years and last 3 times stayed in 2 bedroom apartments which were in a hotel like location (ie serviced, pool, bar, restaurant amenities etc….).

We at looking to go somewhere different for a change and hoping to find something similar in Spain. Unfortunately the best we seem to be able to find are places with 1 bed apartments and not 2.

want a 2 bed minimum and it’s ourselves and 2 kids, 11 & 7.

For context,

Here were some examples of places we went which had the setup in Portugal

https://www.montesantoalgarve.com/en?partner=5362&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjqXn1JXsgQMVjOTtCh0qxg26EAAYAiAAEgK6-fD_BwE

Advertisement