Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eneclann 50% off sale & FMP discounts

Options
  • 26-12-2011 4:37pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just spent some serious (for me) cash in Eneclann's sale - I do think their stuff is quite overpriced most of the time but 50% off everything makes it more palatable.

Findmypast is running a competition this week that can win various prizes including a year's sub for their site, Eneclann research and books. They have also got 10% off their subs until 1st Jan. I think I may sign up for a half year just to see what the fuss is about.

Now that I'm teaching genealogy, it is useful to have access to these. The budget will be unlikely to ever stretch to a full Ancestry sub - a single month at a time when I need it for class is what I do. I do keep up Origins though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I have a couple of Enneclan's Data CDs, which I bought some years ago when I had a PC running Windows XP. They do not work with Windows Vista or Windows 7. For years now, they have said that this issue will be resolved 'shortly'. It hasn't been resolved.

Somehow, I got the Index of Irish Wills to work on my Vista PC but the 1851 Dublin City Census CD simply won't work for me at all on PC or laptop and I might as well use it as a coaster. I am interested in Cantwell's Memorial's of the Dead Collected Works but I won't be buying anything from Enneclan because I don't know if the CD will actually work. :rolleyes:

I did contact them about this issue but all they seemed to be interested in was how I actually managed to get the Irish Wills CD to work. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Cantwell's memorials of the dead is on Origins - get a sub for there instead?

I remember having a major issue using a copied one of the 1851 cd - wouldn't work on any modern os but I'm hoping since I'm buying them in 2011 they'll work with current operating systems.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Cantwells and many of the other products are in pdf format so should work on almost any PC. The 1851 city census extract uses some software that requires older operating system - NT for example. I dont know if there is a newer version of the CD with updated software. The census details are available on Origins - with a better search function than the CD

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

genie wrote: »
    I have a couple of Enneclan's Data CDs, which I bought some years ago when I had a PC running Windows XP. They do not work with Windows Vista or Windows 7. For years now, they have said that this issue will be resolved 'shortly'. It hasn't been resolved.

Somehow, I got the Index of Irish Wills to work on my Vista PC but the 1851 Dublin City Census CD simply won't work for me at all on PC or laptop and I might as well use it as a coaster. I am interested in Cantwell's Memorial's of the Dead Collected Works but I won't be buying anything from Enneclan because I don't know if the CD will actually work. :rolleyes:

I did contact them about this issue but all they seemed to be interested in was how I actually managed to get the Irish Wills CD to work. :rolleyes:

Hi, I actually came to this thread because i had also noticed the Eneclann sale, and was going to post about it here.

Did you Right click, and choose
    Properties > Compatability > [Tick] Run this program in Compatability mode for:

and try the different XP'S? (i.e. Xp SP2, and XP SP3 or Win98)

I know it might be a silly question, but i was thinking of purchasing them, and after reading your post, i'd like to be sure.

What format are they in?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I just spent some serious (for me) cash in Eneclann's sale - I do think their stuff is quite overpriced most of the time but 50% off everything makes it more palatable.

Findmypast is running a competition this week that can win various prizes including a year's sub for their site, Eneclann research and books. They have also got 10% off their subs until 1st Jan. I think I may sign up for a half year just to see what the fuss is about.

Now that I'm teaching genealogy, it is useful to have access to these. The budget will be unlikely to ever stretch to a full Ancestry sub - a single month at a time when I need it for class is what I do. I do keep up Origins though.

Pinky, if you don't mind me asking, where are you teaching genealogy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I don't mind but to preserve anonymity, I shall pm you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

genie wrote: »

I wonder would a newly bought cd of the Irish Wills or Dublin City Census work at all.My old ones certainly won't even install.....very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I'm afraid that I've no idea, sorry, but I've just looked on their website and there is still the same message on the 1851 Dublin City Census/Index of Irish Wills pages under System Requirements that the disc will not work with Vista but that they hope to resolve this shortly. :rolleyes::D

It must be getting on for ten years since I bought these CDs so I'd love to know what they mean by shortly! :D

You could try contacting them? :)

Advertisement