Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with our neighbours cat

Options
  • 26-12-2011 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    In a bit of a situation here and since no one around here seems to want to do anything about I thought I would come here for advice.

Our neighbours cat has been hanging around around our house for ages now. We have a cat of our own so I suppose that's why! Also,The cat is always hungry too and we hate to see animals go hungry so we have been feeding it sparingly. I suppose that was not a great idea either but sometimes he would come into the house and we can only coax it out was with a bit of food! He/she is very friendly all the same time.

Anyways the cat has been up to our house today and has a big gash/hole in the side of its neck. It doesn't seem too bothered by it but it looks very sore. I have feeling it was a smaller cut that has grown because the cat stop scratching it with her claws maybe. Our neighbours are Polish, not the friendliest and also have a dog and its my guess they don't care for the cat at all.

I don't know where to go from here to be honest and I hate to see the cat like this....so any ideas...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Do they speak English, could you maybe speak to them and point it out that their cat has an open wound? On the optimistic side maybe they don't know about it, being pessimistic maybe they know about it but won't bring it to a vet, maybe someone else pointing it out will guilt them into bringing it to a vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Report them to the ISPCA they will take action if they dont provide shelter, or food or inhumane.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

The new animal cruelty helpline phone number is CallSave: 1850 211 990 or 01-607 2379.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I would be reluctant to report them for alleged cruelty as they are your neighbours without first giving them a chance to remedy the situation themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

I agree, discuss the issue with your neighbours before reporting. My cat currently has a hole like wound on her head where she has an absess drained last week, she's under vet supervision & on antibiotics but if someone didn't know better it would look like a very open nasty wound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 aiseiri47

As for the cat always being hungry - is it actually underweight? A cat looking for food is not necessarily an underfed cat; my cat is always looking for food and it's a struggle to keep her happy as well as keep her from going over her ideal weight. Also, it's very unusual for a cat to enter a house willingly or to exhibit friendly behaviour unless it has had positive experiences with humans. They are typically more defensive and skittish than that.

I also am not sure what they're being Polish has to do with it, other than a possible communication barrier. As with Irish people, some of them are good pet owners and some of them are bad pet owners.

Of course it is entirely possible that this poor cat is neglected and malnourished - but make sure you know the full story before you make any decisions, because things aren't always what they seem.

Advertisement