Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demountables

Options
  • 26-12-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Looking forward to 2012 and a possible new project (either classic car or camper related) I have been looking at some of the older Tischer demountables that are/were available for the VW T25 Transporters and VW Mk.2 Golf Caddy pickups.
    There may also have been available for some of the older mazda/toyota pickups.

I am not really interested in the newer Tischer demountables or other manufacturers who are now in the market.

Has anyone had any experience of owning or using one of these.Any suggestions regarding acquiring/restoring one? Most probably I would look towards the UK or Germany to source one.

What about tax/insurance.. Private/Commercial/camper or maybe even classic tax if pre 1982. Insurance could well be the big problem.

Any suggestion or advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

We had/sold on once , I though it was an awful excuse of a yoke tbh , no space at all in it... and that was for a Hi-lux/Navara sized jeep .

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Hi Aiden. I hear what your saying ok. I will try to see one up close to get some idea of how (im)practical they could be before going any further.
    A T2 or T25 restoration might be a better project in the long run.

Any other opinions/experiences on demountables on this forum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

S'funny , there was a guy here at our Open Day today talking about building one onto the back of his 1990 Caddy...

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Thats gas altogether.
    I have been looking at a thread on a UK forum where a guy did exactly that only on a Hilux. It is doable but the longer I think about it the more dubious I become around issues like insurance etc.
    Also, i cannot really say that I have any real need for a Hilux or Caddy or suchlike so it would end up used as a camper 90% of the time. I think that the real benefit of owning a demountable would be to use the base vehicle as pickup/camper on a 60/40 basis.

Advertisement