Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTML 5 Courses in Dublin / London or region

Options
  • 25-12-2011 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

ANyone recommend HTML 5 training courses in Dublin, Belfast, London or somewhere within striking distance of those loci?

Level? Beginner to Medium.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You'll be lucky to find a good classroom based one. There's a 2 day one from http://www.professional.ie/it_training_courses/HTML5-4295.htm which might do but 'is not available as part of our public schedule but can be provided on a customised client specific basis' which could well be expensive. It also appears to get a lot into 2 days. Try http://w3schools.com, http://reference.sitepoint.com/html, http://htmldog.com, http://www.tizag.com are all good and free. I picked up a few lynda.com video tutorials which are great value and look good so far.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

tricky D wrote: »
    I picked up a few lynda.com video tutorials which are great value and look good so far.

I can highly recommend Lynda.com, it is well worth signing up for a few months and do all the tutorials you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Jim2007 wrote: »
    I can highly recommend Lynda.com, it is well worth signing up for a few months and do all the tutorials you need.

I would say the opposite. Im well versed in an array of languages which spawned from a computer science degree I did a few years back. I wanted to get into building websites so I studied web design in BCFE. The course was fantastic and most of the lecturers are working in the industry.

Being honest, I'm a terrible learner. By that I mean, I cant start a completely new area of computers without getting a solid foundation in it to build on. I had allot of questions even with the basics of html/css which I needed to quiz the lecturer on and got most of them answered with other alternative methods to complete the task. That course opened doors for me to integrate my previous degree's skillset. Which has now launched me into different areas of web production.

I am finishing up another degree in digital media right now and HTML/css was taught last year via lynda.com. I was sat back in the class embarrassed at how bad I felt the lessons came across. The class hasn't a clue about anything web related, not only that, out of 30 students only 3 including myself elected to carry on that module for fourth year.

If you want to do something right, nothing will beat a one on one lesson. You need to know why things are done the way they are, and not "its done like this because its done like this and thats why" which imo is what comes out of online lessons.

Now, having said all that, I wouldnt dare take anything away from anyone who has gotten where they are from lessons such as lynda.com. They are obviously doing something right if they are still running the site and the customers are workin in the industry.

Its really down to the type of student you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

red_ice wrote: »
    I would say the opposite. Im well versed in an array of languages which spawned from a computer science degree I did a few years back. I wanted to get into building websites so I studied web design in BCFE. The course was fantastic and most of the lecturers are working in the industry.

Being honest, I'm a terrible learner. By that I mean, I cant start a completely new area of computers without getting a solid foundation in it to build on. I had allot of questions even with the basics of html/css which I needed to quiz the lecturer on and got most of them answered with other alternative methods to complete the task. That course opened doors for me to integrate my previous degree's skillset. Which has now launched me into different areas of web production.

I am finishing up another degree in digital media right now and HTML/css was taught last year via lynda.com. I was sat back in the class embarrassed at how bad I felt the lessons came across. The class hasn't a clue about anything web related, not only that, out of 30 students only 3 including myself elected to carry on that module for fourth year.

If you want to do something right, nothing will beat a one on one lesson. You need to know why things are done the way they are, and not "its done like this because its done like this and thats why" which imo is what comes out of online lessons.

Now, having said all that, I wouldnt dare take anything away from anyone who has gotten where they are from lessons such as lynda.com. They are obviously doing something right if they are still running the site and the customers are workin in the industry.

Its really down to the type of student you are.
    I have to agree with this regarding lynda.com.

I found the courses good as I've known html/css for years, but even the most fundamental courses could be steep for newbies.

Advertisement