Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bar staff in Athlone Area!

• 25-12-2011 5:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm looking to open a bar in Athlone in the New Year! Some of you might say am I mad, but we will give it a go! Now I have already picked out the pub as I have been to Athlone a few times but I need to know where to get the best local staff!! I need the best bar staff Athlone has to offer! So if anyone could help and tell me where to find them it would be greatly appreciated! Top dollar will be paid but I need the best!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Out of interest what type of bar are you opening...upmarket place ??or a pub for drinkers???
    Live music venue???
    Sports bar??

Athlone needs a decent music venue where theres actually room for a band to play and not have people falling over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 countdown

It will be a good all rounder!!! Drinkers, music, food!!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭shannie

I dont go out in athlone, im too young yet, but from what i know... if your opening a bar in athone it realy needs to be unique, cos all the bars are seemingly the same :/

Oh don't worry there is going to be one very Big difference between this pub and all the others in Athlone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Where is it gonna be located?

• Advertisement

It will beon Connaught side of town!! Not 100% decided as yet. Now,can anyone help me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

countdown wrote: »
    I'm looking to open a bar in Athlone in the New Year! Some of you might say am I mad, but we will give it a go! Now I have already picked out the pub as I have been to Athlone a few times but I need to know where to get the best local staff!! I need the best bar staff Athlone has to offer! So if anyone could help and tell me where to find them it would be greatly appreciated! Top dollar will be paid but I need the best!

how much is top dollar. i was once a supervisior in a night club not in athlone

Il be honest, my key people will have to have worked in Athlone. I want them to know the locals... Popular bar staff... This is the key to any business!! People in the know! Though if you are interested in a bar position please private mail me ur cv. But at the minute I'm going on recommendations for my Main Front of House Team! :) Thank you for your interest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

My experience of every new bar in Athlone that has opened employed idiots or assholes. then you gradually weed them out, and get left with good bar staff. Hopefully it works for you because not feeling any buzz round athlone at the minute. I need a good new pub to inject a bit of life into the place.

All the good bar staff are kept happy in the bars they work so they don't leave for a new pub in case it goes bust in 2 weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Il be honest, my key people will have to have worked in Athlone. I want them to know the locals... Popular bar staff... This is the key to any business!! People in the know! Though if you are interested in a bar position please private mail me ur cv. But at the minute I'm going on recommendations for my Main Front of House Team! :) Thank you for your interest...

how are you going to know that their popular, well known?? tbh people who think they are those things are often the complete opposite and assholes to boot. Your better off looking for down to earth, decent, hard working bar staff who will give your business the kind of image it needs rather than some fonzy type idiot.

• Advertisement

Exactly what I'm looking for.... Hard working , customer orientated!! Not some love me boy...... I'm asking for recommendations from their customers! Not from the bar staff them selves.. I'm looking for the people of Athlone to tell me who do I need to employ to help me make this work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

A lady with some charm maybe?.

hick2.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Exactly what I'm looking for.... Hard working , customer orientated!! Not some love me boy...... I'm asking for recommendations from their customers! Not from the bar staff them selves.. I'm looking for the people of Athlone to tell me who do I need to employ to help me make this work.

wouldnt really recommend this either, your either going to get some relative or friend or the customer who they think might be able to give them free drinks every now and again. Your better off sticking to interviewing people and seeing who comes across the best and most sincere. Customers are a fickle bunch, they may change their mind about some supposed popular bar staff member in a minute. Stick to your intuition, this is what makes someone successful in business, the ability to work on your own intuition

I understand what your saying and you are right! And interviews will be done and references will be taken, but surely there are some key bar staff in Athlone that are worth considering, someone that does a really great job. Customer orientated most important..

I understand what your saying and you are right! And interviews will be done and references will be taken, but surely there are some key bar staff in Athlone that are worth considering, someone that does a really great job. Customer orientated most important..

You be better off looking for good bar staff that worked in bars that have closed down. I feel bar staff that are already working won't leave the job as they know the bar may not stay open long. No point in leaving the job they have for the bar to close a few months time.

The plaice bar would be a nive spot to open a bar. Would love to see a sports bar thats shows more than soccer.

Right so what your saying is your going to poach other peoples staff.
    Yeah im sure there is bar staff that would risk going to a new pub that could be closed in a few months...rather than stay in a job that is somewhat safe.:pac:

Right so what your saying is your going to poach other peoples staff.
    Yeah im sure there is bar staff that would risk going to a new pub that could be closed in a few months...rather than stay in a job that is somewhat safe.:pac:

I for one would not go after other peoples staff. You may need to lend a keg off that bar someday and they won't give you one cause you took there good staff from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

How about doing a bit of research yourself by going to a few bars and seeing how you rate the staff.

Then advertise the jobs and if you recognise any of the applicants then you will have an idea of how well/bad they work.

Or just hire.staff based on intrerview

Or just hire.staff based on intrerview

thats crazy talk :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 damienga15de

I think a bar in athlone that shows F1 rallying touring cars motorsport type stuff would draw people from all over, i hate going to a pub on a sunday for a few pints and theres nothing only football on id rather sit at home and watch racing and not bother having a few pints, and if you have ample car parking spaces car clubs can meet there get some grub and what not.

I would to see some nfl or ice hockey in a bar in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I think a bar in athlone that shows F1 rallying touring cars motorsport type stuff would draw people from all over, i hate going to a pub on a sunday for a few pints and theres nothing only football on id rather sit at home and watch racing and not bother having a few pints, and if you have ample car parking spaces car clubs can meet there get some grub and what not.

i think a pub should show a few different things. on different tvs.
    a good internet connection would allow you to show most american sports

and no horse racing! leave that to the bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭shannie

Not trying to be.. snobby? But like just have an interview:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

shannie wrote: »
    Not trying to be.. snobby? But like just have an interview:/

You can't judge a barman by an interview, he/she may be friendly, know all about current affairs, footie, GAA and rugby but if they can't shift the drinks and can't juggle multiple concurrent orders then they are useless.

I was in the Burlington Hotel bar one night a while ago and there was a very nice barman behind the counter but he didn't think it was within his remit to handle multiple orders so while a pint of Guinness was settling he would chat to the customer who had ordered it, all the while failing to hear the gnashing of teeth of the customers waiting to be served, I'm sure he would do a great interview!

You won't figure out a barman unless you see him operating under pressure i.e. behind the counter on a Saturday night.

coylemj wrote: »
    You can't judge a barman by an interview, he/she may be friendly, know all about current affairs, footie, GAA and rugby but if they can't shift the drinks and can't juggle multiple concurrent orders then they are useless.

I was in the Burlington Hotel bar one night a while ago and there was a very nice barman behind the counter but he didn't think it was within his remit to handle multiple orders so while a pint of Guinness was settling he would chat to the customer who had ordered it, all the while failing to hear the gnashing of teeth of the customers waiting to be served, I'm sure he would do a great interview!

You won't figure out a barman unless you see him operating under pressure i.e. behind the counter on a Saturday night.

You really can't make a customer hang around for a drink. I never waited for the guinness to do its thing. I would just serve the next person and keep an eye on the point. I was told by the guy who ran the place I worked that I was a great worker better than the ones he had working in galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

cena wrote: »
    You be better off looking for good bar staff that worked in bars that have closed down. I feel bar staff that are already working won't leave the job as they know the bar may not stay open long. No point in leaving the job they have for the bar to close a few months time.

The plaice bar would be a nive spot to open a bar. Would love to see a sports bar thats shows more than soccer.

Whatever about the decor in the upstairs of that bar, whoever advised the then owner/manager of the place formerly known as the Palace to paint downstairs white , needed shooting. That place (downstairs) use to be a grand place for a few sneaky Sunday afternoon drinks while watching the match. Went in when it was white, I thought I was in an asylum.

Ah, ha, surely op, the only real premise on the Connacht Side, that could meet the OP's wishes/needs is the Palace. It would be great to see that place back to its former glory. It would be an ideal spot for what is considered a Superpub/ordinary drinkers place.

The bar staff (long term staff) in the Palace tended, solely in my opinion, to be some of the best.

Don't wish to sound funny or tell you what you to do, but it sounds like your poaching, and you know this ain't Manchester City or Chelsea. It is not like your in Dublin where maybe, this kind of thing could go unnoticed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

I would to see some nfl or ice hockey in a bar in ireland

Would definitely be something different in Athlone. Think the Athlonians would want to go over more than GAA, Rugby and Soccer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

coylemj wrote: »

Hotel barmen in Dublin are paid a lot less than barmen who work in the union pubs in Dublin. The result is they are mostly incompetent and resentful. barmen trained in the union pubs in Dublin tend to be more productive. The number of apprentices to qualified barmen is regulated and if the apprentice looks at the counter the head barman will soon roar at him to keep looking up. It is the basic skill of spotting customers and acknowledging them which is so important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

barmen trained in the union pubs in Dublin tend to be more productive. The number of apprentices to qualified barmen is regulated and if the apprentice looks at the counter the head barman will soon roar at him to keep looking up. It is the basic skill of spotting customers and acknowledging them which is so important.

On what planet?. A parallel universe maybe?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Can I make a very humble suggestion. I dont think its been tried before.

How about having NO TV .

Let us return to the days of the gentle hum of quality and civil conversation.:D
    The tick-tock of the grandfather clock.

Some fingerfood with the pint, continental style.

No females of course.

My favourite pub in Athlone has no tv. But only one of my friends likes it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

My favourite pub in Athlone has no tv. But only one of my friends likes it

Which pub in Athlone doesn't have a tv. I can't think of any.

My favourite pub in Athlone has no tv. But only one of my friends likes it :(

Please let us all in on this guilty secret :mad:

slowharry wrote: »
    Which pub in Athlone doesn't have a tv. I can't think of any.

Flannerys?

• Advertisement

Maguires :)

Went to Maguires once since it re opened. Was not greeted in warm fashion, the complete opposite in fact. I shall not darken their doorstep ever again.
    I think I detailed my experience on another thread here at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

You would be better off working the bar your self for the first six months to a year with a few part timers at week ends. as its a new venture for you
    you dont want to be over run with costs ect the pubs i had i always worked them myself as you know whats going on

I walked passed The Palace Bar today. Lot of working going on in the place. Painting rewiring etc.

Do ye think its the guy the started this thread that is taking it over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

I wlaked past The Palace Bar today. Lot of working going on in the place. Painting rewiring etc.

Do ye thinks its the guy the started this thread that is taking it over

I doubt it as I doubt Tommy C knows how to use a computer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

galait wrote: »
    I wlaked past The Palace Bar today. Lot of working going on in the place. Painting rewiring etc.

Do ye thinks its the guy the started this thread that is taking it over

I doubt it as I doubt Tommy C knows how to use a computer
    Oh he does. I've received emails from him before and he was a divil for Bebo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

On what planet?. A parallel universe maybe?.
    Is that where you have been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I could say with decent confidence it wasnt him.

EDIT: Tommy C i mean, the guy who started the thread could have been talking about the Palace though

I could say with decent confidence it wasnt him.

EDIT: Tommy C i mean, the guy who started the thread could have been talking about the Palace though

I seen the palace is now open again. Seen a menu stand outside yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1 louisemccarthy

i my name is louise. im replying to your add about needing people to work for you.. i really want the chance to work for you. i have previous experience working in pubs my contact number is <modsnip> i would be more than greatfully if you can get in contact with me.. from louise in athlone

[MOD]

Personal contact details removed, make contact by PM if desired.

Opening post is over 2 years old, thread last used over 1 year ago; subject and content are likely well out of date by now, thread closed.

[/MOD]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement