Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for fist degree

Options
  • 24-12-2011 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hello folks im wondering if you can help me please. I am 32 and looking into doing my first degree at what I'm not entirely sure of yet. I find myself unemployed at present with a newborn and the other half working so returning full time is not an option. Ideally I would like to study online/distance while retaining my social welfare benefits. I looked into the springboard initiative but there isnt anything of interest it seems for an undergratuate with no experience its mainly aimed at postgrad. Im living in Donegal and would be grateful for some advise on my options available.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Hi,

I don't know if you will get many answers to that one, your question is just too open.

Problem is, you want to do a degree but don't know what you want to do so its going to be difficult for anyone to give you advise, bit like shooting in the dark.

A degree takes a lot of time, commitment and money so its not a case of picking any old thing. You need to think about what you are interested in doing first and then take it from there, the degree you do should realistically lead on to the type of work/job you want to do or are interested in applying for.

If you are not sure then I'd probably start doing a bit of research on careers by looking at some career guidence websites or checking out a few career books.

As regards the social welfare benfits, getting your fees paid and all that, im not too sure as regards online courses. I'm guessing it depends on the course and qualification if it is recognised by the state

Regards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

My MA is online/by distance. I enjoy it a lot. I don't know about the benefits aspect, sorry.

The trouble with a lot of websites and course outlines is you only get a vague idea of what the actual course will be like on a day-to-day basis, well, for bricks and mortar ones, anyway. Scout around some of the forums on here and you'll probably get a better idea about undergrad courses (taking some of the comments with a grain of a salt, of course). Try and get hold of a sample of a module or two and maybe the names of a few textbooks. If there's a big chain bookshop nearby you could flick through a few chapters to see if they'd be your thing. Your tutors will probably encourage relying on journals more so than books, though. I know you won't get the full flavour of a course before hand, but some research should help. Also, there are many free podcasts, mp3s, clips of lectures out there on the web - a lot of it's American, but you still might get some sense of the topics you're interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

May I ask what your M.A. is in BlackOil and who you are doing it with? T.y.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Disability Studies through Leeds university.

Advertisement