Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is South Africa really as dangerous as reports do say?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Squashie wrote: »
    ... and if so, why and what areas exactly are best avoided?

On the one hand, the murder capital of the world. On the other, by a mile the safest place in sub-Saharan Africa (in fact, anywhere in Africa.)

How so? Depends on where you go. At the risk of sounding racist, don't go near Black townships, unless you are on a dedicated tour and even then, watch your belongings carefully, dress down, no ostentatious displays of wealth. Be careful in some rural areas too.

It would be better if you could be more specific about where you intend to go. A week in Cape Town in Constantia, whale watching in Hermanus and visiting the wineries near Franschoek is going to be safe as Western Europe. Ditto if you go to the pricier Safari lodges in Kruger.

South Africa is a wonderful country, which like everywhere, including here, has its problems and its no-go areas. A bit of standard cop-on is all you really need to ensure your own safety there. But if you have, say, a complicated fly-drive itinerary, I'm sure people here will be able to advise which areas to drive quickly through, which to avoid, and which to get out and photograph or stay the night at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If your basic question is "should you go to South Africa", the answer is yes, it has a lot to offer. I'd love to go back.

There is higher crime in South Africa in some areas, but mostly you wouldn't be visiting these.

As Cavehill Red says the Cape area is generally as safe as Europe, bar a few districts that you have no business visiting anyway. Game parks are fenced off managed areas and are pretty safe for tourists, and not just the expensive game lodges. While in Johannesburg I stayed in a rather characterless, but safe, wealthy suburb and took a bus tour around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Go if you get the chance. Some great people there. I was only in CT and Port Elizabeth but I loved the people. No problems either but I would be streetwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Was there in 2009 and would love to go back,amazing country,just beautiful.
    But like alot of places it has its dodgy points and areas to avoid.We stayed there for about 12 days and on one occasion was driven thru Jo'burg next to the Vodacom tower,and saw some pretty nasty stuff...and on the other hand i was in an elephant sanctuary near Harbeetsport damn,both once in a lifetime experiences.I havent been to Ctown but if i go back thats where im going.
    My advice to you is to go,you wont regret it,just be smart while your there.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

ardmacha wrote: »
    If your basic question is "should you go to South Africa", the answer is yes, it has a lot to offer. I'd love to go back.

There is higher crime in South Africa in some areas, but mostly you wouldn't be visiting these.

As Cavehill Red says the Cape area is generally as safe as Europe, bar a few districts that you have no business visiting anyway. Game parks are fenced off managed areas and are pretty safe for tourists, and not just the expensive game lodges. While in Johannesburg I stayed in a rather characterless, but safe, wealthy suburb and took a bus tour around.

This is about as accurate as you can get, it's a beautiful place and unless you are going way off the beaten track you'll be fine

• Advertisement

Was there in 2009 and would love to go back,amazing country,just beautiful.
    But like alot of places it has its dodgy points and areas to avoid.We stayed there for about 12 days and on one occasion was driven thru Jo'burg next to the Vodacom tower,and saw some pretty nasty stuff...and on the other hand i was in an elephant sanctuary near Harbeetsport damn,both once in a lifetime experiences.I havent been to Ctown but if i go back thats where im going.
    My advice to you is to go,you wont regret it,just be smart while your there.

The Vodacom tower, lucky you weren't jacked. That is Hillbrow, was once an exclusive wealthy area but now it is run down, with serious drug and crime issues. I am in SA the last 3 years and would not go near there.

Back to the OP, just be streetwise and you will be fine. Don't go to dodgey places or townships, places like Sandton are nice.

I would recommend the Golden Gate by the Drakensburg, really nice town there called Clarens.
    Anywhere in the Drakensburg is nice.
    Sun City, Right next to the Pilanesburg game reserve.
    Ballito
    Lion park in Joburg
    oh theres so much i cant think now

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

+1 on Sandton,awesome place.I was drivin past the Vodacom tower by my brother in law who has benn there a number of years,everything was fine untill he said to take off our seatbelts.......i asked why?and he said if we get jacked you'r going to need to get out and run!....quick!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Umhlanga near Durban is a great place to stay. beaches, sharks board visitor centre, shakaland, great tours to go on. About €1.50 for a beer, meal for two about €45, including a bottle of wine. But you do have to take care no matter what part of SA your are in. Make sure you plan your day, if in doubt ask at your hotel. Avoid Jo-burg if you can, we stayed there, our hotel security had an AK47 with him, we ate in the hotel that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

+! for Lesotho. Even safer than South Africa, and more like 'real Africa'.

I don't know how long your going for or if this is going to be a one off trip, you might consider Victoria Falls in Zambia. You could arrange your trip so that you fly from europe to Jo-burg and catch a connecting flight to Livingstone. It's only just over an hours flight and well worth the trip. Namibia is another place you might want to consider, just remember that our summer is their winter, as it's a major resort for South Africans it can be very quite in our summer period. By the way, 2/3 nights is the most you want to stay in Livingstone, seeing the falls and river boat trip on the Zambezi is all you need to do there.

• Advertisement

roundymac wrote: »
    Umhlanga near Durban is a great place to stay. beaches, sharks board visitor centre, shakaland, great tours to go on. About €1.50 for a beer, meal for two about €45, including a bottle of wine. But you do have to take care no matter what part of SA your are in. Make sure you plan your day, if in doubt ask at your hotel. Avoid Jo-burg if you can, we stayed there, our hotel security had an AK47 with him, we ate in the hotel that night.

when was the last time you were in SA. wish beers were still 1.50, about 2.10 now :D. meal for two for 45 euro, maybe if you have a 3 course i suppose, a main course in SA is big enough for about 10-15 euro

2007 was the last time I was there. I have a big appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

when was the last time you were in SA. wish beers were still 1.50, about 2.10 now :D. meal for two for 45 euro, maybe if you have a 3 course i suppose, a main course in SA is big enough for about 10-15 euro

Bottles are about 1.50 but a proper draft is north of 2.10 easily

Eating out is still great value, 500 rand for a very pucker 3 courses for myself & the oh last week, including 40 bucks corkage

Advertisement