Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP David Gold of Woods of Ypres killed in car accident

Options
  • 23-12-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭

I just heard from Diamond Plate's facebook that singer/guitarist (and former drummer) David Gold of canadian Doom metal band was killed yesterday in a car accident aged 31. Although not a big band, their first 3 albums were self-released, they had signed a deal with Earache records last year and their fourth album had just been released. This was a man and a band that had a lot more potential that will sadly not be realised now.

The story has been confirmed by several sources http://loudwire.com/woods-of-ypres-frontman-david-gold-killed-in-car-accident/

David Gold, the frontman for Canadian doom metal band Woods of Ypres, has died at the age of 31. Gold was killed in a car accident last night (Dec. 22) in the Canadian city of Barrie, Ontario.
    Woods of Ypres formed in 2002 and signed a record deal with Earache Records in 2010. Their label debut, ‘Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light,’ was slated to be released on Jan. 31, 2012. Prior to the Earache release, the band put out a demo and three full lengths independently. The band also toured North America this summer, further generating buzz for their upcoming release.

Earache posted the following statement about Gold’s death:

“We’ve just heard that David Gold of Woods of Ypres passed away last night in an accident near Barrie, Ontario, Canada. From all of us at Earache our deepest sympathies to your family, bandmates and friends. We are all devastated, such a terrible waste of talent. R.I.P. David.”

Woods of Ypres live

WOY also had a more blackened sound in earlier releases

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

RIP but i didn't even know he existed until he didn't :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

RIP - remember this band well, listened to them a lot when I was about 15, didn't so much fall out of favour with me as I just ended up moving onto different stuff. Sorry to hear and my thoughts are with his family and friends at a most difficult time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I heard about this four days ago.
    He was a really talented man. He said the upcoming album, which was scheduled to be released early next year, is the one he felt the most satisfied with. He came across as a genuine guy, so I don't think it was just marketing spiel.

RIP.

Advertisement