Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Fermenting?

• 23-12-2011 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Ok I brewed this stout on 23rd of Nov with an og of 1.059. I moved it into a secoundary fermenter on the 30th of Nov and it was down to 1.015.

Seemed very fast but I used yeast nutrient and a fairly large yeast starter.

Up until 2-3 days ago it seemed all physical signs of fermentation had stopped and then I had to move it upstairs, its been bubbling away since then.

Just took a gravity reading and its down to 1.012 (about 6.6% :cool:) and its tasting great with no signs of off flavours/ infection. Also when I opened the fermenter and had a quick sniff there was a strong smell of CO2.

Im going to take a reading tomorrow and see, I haven't much time though.

I wouldn't mind but I want to get it into bottles to pass around as christmas gifts for a select few and I don't want to be sending out bottle bombs.

Temp has been 18 - 20C consistently, I just cant get my head around this beer still fermenting a month after brew day? Happened to anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

There could be the smallest amount of fermentation left to go but not enough to produce bottle bombs I'd say. Without professing to be an expert i'd say ur good to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Mashtun wrote: »
    There could be the smallest amount of fermentation left to go but not enough to produce bottle bombs I'd say. Without professing to be an expert i'd say ur good to go

Thanks, thats what I thought I might just go a little easy with the priming sugar I just want to be careful as I'll be giving them to people in the next few days to keep until there ready and I don't want to be getting phone calls asking why the kitchen cupboard exploded

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'm 3 weeks into my first kit, there's still some bubbling at the airlock too. From what I know (which isn't much :)) during the fermentation a lot of CO2 will get dissolved into the beer and will be released over time, so there will still be CO2 coming from it even when there's very little or no fermentation still happening.

stevenmu wrote: »
    I'm 3 weeks into my first kit, there's still some bubbling at the airlock too. From what I know (which isn't much :)) during the fermentation a lot of CO2 will get dissolved into the beer and will be released over time, so there will still be CO2 coming from it even when there's very little or no fermentation still happening.

That makes sense, when you taste a sample from the fermenter it can often taste slightly fizzy, moving the fermenter around probably just knocked most of it out.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Just let it keep going till it stops. It won't do any harm, in fact the opposite.

BTW, well done if you can smell CO2!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

n97 mini wrote: »

It stings!

n97 mini wrote: »
    Just let it keep going till it stops. It won't do any harm, in fact the opposite.

Too late its bottled

I presumed the smell of CO2 was the smell that isnt beer when you stick ur nose into the fermenter.

My presumption was confirmed when a brewer in Brewdogs series on Discovery called Brewmasters said he could smell CO2 from the fermenter.

:cool:

Advertisement