Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick bird , what to do.

Options
  • 23-12-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hi,

am into my second year of feeding birds with feeders and stuff and am really enjoying seeing them come and go.
    Half an hour I found a great tit out side on the Patio and it is alive but just isn't doing anything. It just sits with it's mouth open and blinks the odd time:(

Is there anythign I can do for the little fella ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

A window strike?

I bring them inside, (warm and stops cat getting them), put them under a wicker basket on newspaper( keeps counter top clean) covered with cloths to create deep shade.
    I have this basket beside window. When I hear bird walking around ( can take hours!) I open window and lift up basket and bird flies through window opening and away.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Mothman wrote: »
    A window strike?

I bring them inside, (warm and stops cat getting them), put them under a wicker basket on newspaper( keeps counter top clean) covered with cloths to create deep shade.
    I have this basket beside window. When I hear bird walking around ( can take hours!) I open window and lift up basket and bird flies through window opening and away.

Great advice Mothman, I brought inside and left it in the porch under a large box and about 10 mins ago I heard it creating some noise so I lifted up the box and opened the door and away it went. It has also returned to the feeder so it most be back to good health.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Great news!
    unfortunately not all make it, but they usually die quite quickly if they not going to make it.
    My daughter brought in a Greenfinch yesterday. I really thought it was curtains. Limp as if dead with blood. I mentioned my prognosis. She couldn't help checking it every hour (she often doesn't follow my advice :D), and each hour it was a little better, and to my astonishment, it flew off before dusk :)

And to add to my advice above, sometimes it sounds like its ready to fly, but if it doesn't, it just needs a little more time.

The downside to my method is that the kids really like to see it before flying off, but I lift up the basket on the window side, so as to not fly back into house and the kids don't see it before it is flying away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Mothman wrote: »
    Great news!
    unfortunately not all make it, but they usually die quite quickly if they not going to make it.
    My daughter brought in a Greenfinch yesterday. I really thought it was curtains. Limp as if dead with blood. I mentioned my prognosis. She couldn't help checking it every hour (she often doesn't follow my advice :D), and each hour it was a little better, and to my astonishment, it flew off before dusk :)

And to add to my advice above, sometimes it sounds like its ready to fly, but if it doesn't, it just needs a little more time.

The downside to my method is that the kids really like to see it before flying off, but I lift up the basket on the window side, so as to not fly back into house and the kids don't see it before it is flying away.

Mothman your a bit of a legend on this forum happy Christmas ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Excellent results!!!

Im glad the birdie is ok :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Found a sparrow on the ground outside my house once unresponsive but still breathing heavily (could see its chest rising etc). Brought it inside and left it in a small box with a bed of cotton wool. Unfortunately he remained in a coma like state for several hours before dying. :(
    Must have flew into the window the poor fella.

One time i found a bee that was dying outside in the cold.. I brought her inside and put her on top of the dryer and turned it on.. (So she would get warm)

Within minutes she sprung up and flew off!! (Somewhere in the basement :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Dude111 wrote: »
    i found a bee and put her on top of the dryer and turned it on.. (So she would get warm)

Within minutes she sprung up and flew off!! (Somewhere in the basement :D)

Ahhh ........ great !

Ya :)

I often find that COLD kills insects,if you get them IN TIME and bring them into a warm area,usually they come back :)

Advertisement