Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working? Retired?

Options
  • 23-12-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

So...how's it going owlones and aulfellas? Who is working? Who is retired? Who is running around like frantic headless chickens trying to get everything done and who is huddled over a tiny fire trying to keep warm while saying Pensions?? sure I can't afford anything now!!

Me: fulltime work

Are you working or retired or wha'? 25 votes

Working full time
    0% 0 votes
    Working part time
    40% 10 votes
    Retired entirely
    20% 5 votes
    Semi-retired
    24% 6 votes
    Work at home only
    0% 0 votes
    Unemployed, but looking for work
    8% 2 votes
    Unemployed, not looking for work
    8% 2 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,081 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Whats an owlone? I think I am one of those! I retire next June - the dreaded threescore and five is looming just weeks away. I have plans afoot to deal with all that terrible free time though.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Retired just over a year ago. But have a project that is nearly ready to go. If it is a money earner will keep at it until I hit 70 - roll on 2019!:D And if not, will stay retired until ............. something else comes to mind. :)
    All the above is contingent on me not going to the happy hunting ground before then. Umba umba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Retired, basically due to ill-health, but will be 66 years old in the spring.

However, I have been thinking of writing a book - for the last 20 years. I've got the outline done and pieces written but no further. Really need to be in Ireland to to it as the story is based in Co Clare. Unfortunately, lost much of the basics when I sold my old desktop and forgot to copy the files (I had work files all over the place!!) to the pen drive. I now keep all my work files on a separate drive. Luckily I have much of the work in handwritten copy which I still have (after 20 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

looksee wrote: »
    Whats an owlone? I think I am one of those!

An Owlone is one who is wise like an owl.... or a misspelling, but an appropriate one! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Pushin' up the hill towards 60. Lost the job 3 years ago, done a few courses and nothing turning up after sending out tons of CVs. Still checking the 'oul job sites out of habit more than hope. Still a bit bitter about it all but starting to come to terms with being a full time homemaker again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

odds_on wrote: »
    Retired, basically due to ill-health, but will be 66 years old in the spring.

However, I have been thinking of writing a book - for the last 20 years. I've got the outline done and pieces written but no further. Really need to be in Ireland to to it as the story is based in Co Clare. Unfortunately, lost much of the basics when I sold my old desktop and forgot to copy the files (I had work files all over the place!!) to the pen drive. I now keep all my work files on a separate drive. Luckily I have much of the work in handwritten copy which I still have (after 20 years).
    This reminds me of the late Dick Harris, the angling and entomology guru. I once asked him when his next book would be published. "Oh the book's finished" says he, "Now all I have to do is write it".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Pushin' up the hill towards 60. Lost the job 3 years ago, done a few courses and nothing turning up after sending out tons of CVs. Still checking the 'oul job sites out of habit more than hope. Still a bit bitter about it all but starting to come to terms with being a full time homemaker again.
    That's very tough. Hopefully, someone will recognise the merits of your experience - but if not, homemaking is a seriously challenging occupation and nothing to be ashamed of. I had to do it once, it was just far too difficult for me.

slowburner wrote: »
    That's very tough. Hopefully, someone will recognise the merits of your experience - but if not, homemaking is a seriously challenging occupation and nothing to be ashamed of. I had to do it once, it was just far too difficult for me.

Thanks slowburner. I only find homemaking challenging because I don't find it interesting. I never was one of the house-proud brigade! :D There are so many other more interesting things I'd rather do. Anyway, that's my lot now and I've accepted it albeit with a heavy heart. Now I run at great speed towards old age, pension, and hopefully a free bus pass!! Yay! Payback time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Working part time, studying part time and still doing all the pink jobs and blue jobs in the house ! Doing my final year thesis and hope to graduate with a BA Hons (Humanities) in Nov 2012. Hopefully I will use the degree and find a new job. Never ever want to retire, the mere thought of it fills me with dread.

jos28 wrote: »
    Working part time, studying part time and still doing all the pink jobs and blue jobs in the house ! Doing my final year thesis and hope to graduate with a BA Hons (Humanities) in Nov 2012. Hopefully I will use the degree and find a new job. Never ever want to retire, the mere thought of it fills me with dread.

I think retirement is more a state of mind than anything else! Also, I would like to award you a BA Hons just for doing all the pink jobs and blue jobs in the house, you deserve it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Working full time...always studying something though...I think work these days is about reinventing yourself again and again ....gone are the career for life type jobs....best advice for those at a career crossroads is...if you think you can do it...you can...

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Cicero wrote: »
    Working full time...always studying something though...I think work these days is about reinventing yourself again and again ....gone are the career for life type jobs....best advice for those at a career crossroads is...if you think you can do it...you can...

Absolutely ,
    Although i think the reinvention can get incredibly tiring though. On my fourth career now ,only part time as yet but am hoping this will see me through to the end. My last having disappeared with the recession may ,in the long run ,be a blessing in disguise. I took it too seriously .

Looking at the Poll above this thread, it looks like I'm the only one 'unemployed' and looking for work still. Well, I call myself 'unemployed' because my job is gone and I am still looking for another job, but the Social Welfare in its wisdom does not call me unemployed because I just sign for credits once a year now and am living on my husband's income, and he is still clinging tightly to his job too because its been pretty shaky in his industry over the last couple of years. We really don't know what 2012 will bring regarding his job. I just can't believe I'm the only one in O&O unemployed! Makes me feel worse now. :( (Just looking for more sympathy now:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Chin up JB, It's just a snapshot in time,things can change dramatically on any given day. I would have shareed the bitterness you mentioned in an earlier post and am also trying to leave it behind. Recessions make philosophers of many but ultimately i believe it's a waste of effort. Those with the power to change things are rarely affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Looking at the Poll above this thread, it looks like I'm the only one 'unemployed' and looking for work still. Well, I call myself 'unemployed' because my job is gone and I am still looking for another job, but the Social Welfare in its wisdom does not call me unemployed because I just sign for credits once a year now and am living on my husband's income, and he is still clinging tightly to his job too because its been pretty shaky in his industry over the last couple of years. We really don't know what 2012 will bring regarding his job. I just can't believe I'm the only one in O&O unemployed! Makes me feel worse now. :( (Just looking for more sympathy now:o)

JB, you are not alone! I've been "unemployed" for the past three years too and signing for credits. Like you, I've sent off CV's in the vain hope of someone taking pity on me but so far I've had no luck. I did get an interview for one of those JobBridge internship thingys last November (whoopydoo :rolleyes:) but was unsuccessful. You'd think that employers would be crying out for people with experience but sadly not.

I've all but given up now and look at the jobs sites/papers out of habit. I have my bad days when it really gets me down and especially when I'm talking to my brother in the UK who innocently asks "you working yet?". Grrrr :mad:

So if you need tea and sympathy JB, I'm your woman!

Aw thanks Molly. I too was interested in the JobBridge thing, but when I rang they confirmed that if I was lucky enough to get one of the jobs I would only be paid €50 for a full week's work. The job I was interested in was in the centre city with no parking, so if I took the bus then I'd only come out with €25.00. With bus fares gone up that would be less now. I didn't pursue it. I keep very busy with evening courses etc., and there is also the family who have a habit of keeping me busy. I must keep my chin up, it's nearly time for spring cleaning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Or time to write the 'oul memoirs!

Advertisement