Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

oil problems.

Options
  • 23-12-2011 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

HI LADS, I'VE A 150CC MAD SAHARA DUNE BUGGIE, ITS ABOUT 3 YEARS OLD NOW BUT I SEEM TO BE HAVING AN OIL PROBLEM! THERE IS OIL GETTING FROM MY SUMP TO THE AIR FILTER! MOST OF THE OIL GOES FROM THE SUMP SO THATS MAKING ME THINK THE ENGINE COULD SIEZE! THERE IS NO SMOKE OR NOTHING FROM IT AND ITS SLIGHTLY DOWN ON POWER! I FOUND A BIT OF WIRE IN THE EXHAUST A WHILE BACK AND I NOW THINK ITS A PISTON RING!! ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT ELSE IT COULD BE??

What could be wrong?? 2 votes

piston rings
    0% 0 votes
    air filter
    100% 2 votes
    cylinder
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

In internet land...writing in caps is shouting.

To help with your question though, is it a sealed air filter with a block/head breather system? If not its not possible for oil to get back to the filter from the sump.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

2 stroke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Plug wrote: »
    2 stroke?

Not if it has a sump:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Has it an engine breeder pipe,Usually this would be fed back into engine,but after the air filter,Not before, If before it would oil up the air filter
    You sure there is not a pipe on in wrong place

Not if it has a sump:P
    Sh1t:pac:

Emm this sounds a bit drastic but the inlet valve is hardly fecked along with the piston ring ring, is it even possible for oil to make it up that far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Definitely the flux capacitor that needs replacing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Must be from the same supplier that Mazda used for theirs. Verrry interesting ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 shanebuggie123

2 stroke?
    Hi no it's only a 4 stroke.

Sh1t:pac:

Emm this sounds a bit drastic but the inlet valve is hardly fecked along with the piston ring ring, is it even possible for oil to make it up that far?
    Hi there is a breather pipe on the head of the engine and i thimk the oil is getting back that!! the part i cant understand is how there is no smoke from it ???:cool:

Hi there is a breather pipe on the head of the engine and i thimk the oil is getting back that!! the part i cant understand is how there is no smoke from it ???:cool:
    Can you take a picture of the engine and air filter so we can make heads or tails of it. Does the breather pipe go back before the filter element does it? If it has a foam filter it will be hard for oil to go through it maybe that explains no blue smoke.

• Advertisement

Can you take a picture of the engine and air filter so we can make heads or tails of it. Does the breather pipe go back before the filter element does it? If it has a foam filter it will be hard for oil to go through it maybe that explains no blue smoke.

Hi i will try and get pictures tomorrow!! ya deres a 5 mm pipe or something from the head to the airfilter! theres abit of foam in the filter and a wire mesh.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Definitely the flux capacitor that needs replacing.

hi whats this??:confused:

Hi i will try and get pictures tomorrow!! ya deres a 5 mm pipe or something from the head to the airfilter! theres abit of foam in the filter and a wire mesh.
    Which side of the filter is the pipe going to?

Which side of the filter is the pipe going to?

hi its at the very top of the head but the pipe is coming to the right! would a bad air filter cause a vacume by any change and force the oil out of the sump?

In internet land...writing in caps is shouting.

To help with your question though, is it a sealed air filter with a block/head breather system? If not its not possible for oil to get back to the filter from the sump.

no its justs a pipe coming into this box and theres a pipe going from this box which is the air filter to the carbonator and a tiny pipe then goes to the head of the engine this is a very weird problem!

argosy2006 wrote: »
    Has it an engine breeder pipe,Usually this would be fed back into engine,but after the air filter,Not before, If before it would oil up the air filter
    You sure there is not a pipe on in wrong place

it has an engine breather pipe but the breather pipe is on the head

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Take the oil cap off while the engine is idling, if it puffs like a steam train, your cylinder wall is worn/your piston rings are shot, because pressure is getting past the pistons.
    Do a compression test.
    Could also be valve stem guides, valve seats.
    All points to an engine in need of a rebore w/oversized pistons fitted/complete rebuild.
    Had a Merc W123 once and the oilfilter was drowned in oil, engine was knackered due to astronomical mileage.

hi its at the very top of the head but the pipe is coming to the right! would a bad air filter cause a vacume by any change and force the oil out of the sump?
    It could if there was air able to get into the top of the head(cam cover we'll say), If there is air able to get into it from the atmosphere or from a bad valve guide on the exhaust side well then oil can be sucked out of it. A leak in the cam cover or a dodgy valve guide and along with a restricted air filter could suck oil into the engine alright. so if the air filter is right in the way thats going to get blocked with oil and cause even further power loss/oil loss. A lot of the time you see oil in that breather pipe but its only a small amount which is normal. Any signs of oil around the cam cover, is the cap tight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

only way for oil to get from sump to air filter is passed the rings signified by blue smoke from burning the oil in the combustion cycle. burnt valves will not leak oil its the valve stem oil seals that fail and do that. if its blowing the oil out a breather then the engine is pressurising itself which could be numerous things. if its a madcat chinese ****e then sorry its probably ferked. if you had burnt valves it would pop and bang and stutter like mad.

serious3 wrote: »
    only way for oil to get from sump to air filter is passed the rings signified by blue smoke from burning the oil in the combustion cycle. burnt valves will not leak oil its the valve stem oil seals that fail and do that. if its blowing the oil out a breather then the engine is pressurising itself which could be numerous things. if its a madcat chinese ****e then sorry its probably ferked. if you had burnt valves it would pop and bang and stutter like mad.

ok thanks i'd say you are on the right track there!! what would u reccomend?? this buggy is the older version of the mad kat and has alot of milage done!

• Advertisement

ok thanks i'd say you are on the right track there!! what would u reccomend?? this buggy is the older version of the mad kat and has alot of milage done!
    You say there is no smoke so maybe the rings are ok? Also we don't actually know where the oil is coming from directly since oil is being pump all around the engine including on top of the head.

You say there is no smoke so maybe the rings are ok? Also we don't actually know where the oil is coming from directly since oil is being pump all around the engine including on top of the head.

Ya no smoke wat so ever!! i found a curley wirey thing in my exhaust a few months back!! so what would u reccommend??

Ya no smoke wat so ever!! i found a curley wirey thing in my exhaust a few months back!! so what would u reccommend??
    Yeap thats probably the oil ring so. so we know you have fecked rings and a manky dirty oil saturated air filter. A mixture of things.

Yeap thats probably the oil ring so. so we know you have fecked rings and a manky dirty oil saturated air filter. A mixture of things.

your getting on track now!! i have cleaned de airfilter several times and removed it and there was still alot of oill in the air filter!! where abouts is the oil ring in the engine?? i have a basic over view of an engine but i wouldnt know where all these ring etc are!! could u give me abit of assistance please??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

believe me if you had spat the oil ring out of the exhaust it would have made a hell of a rattle and scored the bore's badly. also the oil ring is below the compression rings on the piston!!! if the engine is not rattling and shaking and smoking i would completely discount the rings. if the breather is out of the head then its pressuring the top end of the engine which could be caused by somthing simple like a gasket failing.

serious3 wrote: »
    believe me if you had spat the oil ring out of the exhaust it would have made a hell of a rattle and scored the bore's badly. also the oil ring is below the compression rings on the piston!!! if the engine is not rattling and shaking and smoking i would completely discount the rings. if the breather is out of the head then its pressuring the top end of the engine which could be caused by somthing simple like a gasket failing.

Ok thanks a million!! there isnt much of a rattle just feels rough tickin over at times!! ill post pictures tomorrow and u will prob have a better idea??

Ok thanks a million!! there isnt much of a rattle just feels rough tickin over at times!! ill post pictures tomorrow and u will prob have a better idea??

what would u reccomend??

Advertisement