Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the deadlift

Options
  • 22-12-2011 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Does the deadlift do a lot for gaa players and should i start it now before the new season??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

malascoile wrote: »
    Does the deadlift do a lot for gaa players and should i start it now before the new season??

You can't pick out a single lift from all the possible movements you could be doing, with no context provided by outlining the rest of your training or saying what need you think deadlifting might address, then expect a meaningful answer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You can't pick out a single lift from all the possible movements you could be doing, with no context provided by outlining the rest of your training or saying what need you think deadlifting might address, then expect a meaningful answer.

100% this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

except maybe squats :D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

ok,,,

Im 16 and have been going to the gym 3 to 4 times per week.

Im fairly weak (benching 35 kg 8X3)
    i am also on whey protein muscle builder
    i would like to build up my core strength as much as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

yes squat deadlift bench press overhead press and pullups are all you need.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

yes squat deadlift bench press overhead press and pullups are all you need.

No they're not. He's a footballer not a powerlifter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

No they're not. He's a footballer not a powerlifter.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

*Thought hill sprints, jogging, push-ups, pull-ups and loads of sit-ups (core) were more like the kind of training you'd do. If you're not doing them already dumbbell squats or goblet squats.

*I'd reckon this thread is going to go on a bit

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Doing some dead-lifts, squats and planking (the exercise, not Extreme Face-Down) made a big difference for me last year. If you can fit in one good core session a week before your club starts training again, then you'll be giving yourself a great head start.

But! And it has been pointed out above too, playing GAA is as much about cardio and endurance as it is about strength. If you're not running, sprinting, stopping, starting, changing directions (and all of these movements with a ball in your hand) a few days a week as well then having a strong core won't make too much of a difference.

Also, you're 16. Unless you intend to play Inter-County Under 21s this year, you shouldn't have to bulk up with protein at all.

Advertisement