Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Jobs in Arts Administration

Options
  • 22-12-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I know some one who has a very good primary degree (First in History and 2.1 in English) and a Masters in History. Would love to work in Arts Administration but just can't get experience. Has ECDL, has been involved in making two short films, is very well read, articulate and an excellent writer. Work experience mainly in retail, books and music. Is thinking of changing direction but does not know where to go. Any advice would be accepted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

I'm looking for same for last two years - there's none out there, and tbh the person would need to have a helluva lot more experience than what you have described.

here's the websites I use

www.creativecareers.ie
    visual artists ireland e-bulletin
    the wheel e-bulletin
    artsmanagement.ie

however, and this is a HUGE however - art is all about who you know.
    I have paid dues for the last 3 years in internships, unpaid work, huge workloads for no money etc etc and I have a great degree in art and a postgrad in that area too but I wouldn't think I'm even close to getting my dream job yet.

so tell your friend good luck but it's not easy, trust me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

just re-read your post.

The internships in the big arts orgs (eg. the big galleries, arts council etc etc) are v v hard to get aswell.

I would tell your friend to email smaller orgs and offer their (voluntary) experience. also I would introduce myself thru email to a few people, especially those in local arts centres etc.

tell him/her to keep v v up to date on whats going on in the art world, look out for people who need volunteers for festivals, big events etc for the aul CV

if they are in dublin they would apply to volunteer somewhere like fighting words, if that was their thing....

get involved in small film events/festivals - keep his/her ear firmly to the ground basically. contacts contacts CONTACTS!!!

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miranda7

Thanks Aine Kay. Actually it's my daughter and she had been trough all of that and now seems to be losing interest. I'm trying not to be the Irish Mammy here but I think the Art HIstory thing is her niche but she is so discouraged she is thinking of changing tack completely but still does not know what other direction she should take. I have a feeling that there are a lot of people like you two out there. Hopefully things will improve for you. Thanks again.

Advertisement