Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coping with the recession

Options
  • 22-12-2011 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Toss up between AH or posting here (mods can move it if they wish)anyway about 3 years ago I did a 10 hour round trip and had to turn the car radio off listening to all the doom and gloom. The media coverage particularly the radio seems to have become even more gloomy.

I thought get the year out of the way, the next 18 months, 2 years etc etc and things will improve but things haven't really got any better so really I thought waiting for things to improve is really wishing your life away.

So you fast forward your life to say 10 years and things are back to some sort of normality and things are rosy but you're 10 years older.

But if you said we'll make you 10 years younger and live through these tough times again most of us would take it. That's my coping strategy if you will if that makes any sense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

I'd relive my last 10 years not a bother.

Here's a favourite quote of mine that I think captures the sentiment well.

The greatest burden. - What would happen if one day or night a demon were to steal upon you in your loneliest loneliness and say to you, “You will have to live this life - as you are living it now and have lived it in the past - once again and countless times more; and there will be nothing new to it, but every pain and every pleasure, every thought and sigh, and everything unutterably petty or grand in your life will have to come back to you, all in the same sequence and order - even this spider, and that moonlight between the trees, even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence turning over and over - and you with it, speck of dust!” Would you not cast yourself down, gnash your teeth, and curse the demon who said these things? Or have you ever experienced a tremendous moment when you would reply to him, “You are a god; never have I heard anything more godly!” If that thought ever came to prevail in you, it would transform you, such as you are, and perhaps it would mangle you. The question posed to each thing you do, “Do you will this once more and countless times more?” would weigh upon your actions as the greatest burden! Or how beneficent would you have to become towards yourself and toward life to demand nothing more than this eternal sanction and seal? -

- Nietzsche The Gay Science

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD COMMENT:
    Not a discussion of philosophy OP. It will be moved to AH locked so that the AH mods may review it for appropriateness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement