Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Dentist visit in 13 years or so..

Options
  • 22-12-2011 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hello my toothy friends!

So this is how it went..

Last night.. all night.. yes every minute from 9pm on.. searing, crawl the walls pain allowing no sleep.. Karma maybe? OR the body's defence mechanism to ensure I kept the appointment and didn't chicken out?

7.30am - staked out in practice carpark waiting for it to open for 8am appointment.
    8.00am - sheepish confession, received with no recrimination,
    8.15am - blissful, sweet numbness
    9.00am - €€€s lighter, 1 root canal later,
    NO PAIN

Follow up appointment for new year to agree plan of action for remaining issues.. so far nothing too awful ahead of me.

Finally one small lecture about getting back on track with a clean disease free mouth, addressing remaining cosmetic issues and 'educating' :o me to ensure I don't relapse.

Let me now join the chorus of the enlightened "Go now! it won't be half as bad as you think".

Happy Shhh :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Told ya.....have a happy pain free knashers Chimbo!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

Good for you Shhh!!!
    very glad to hear your root canal was more or less painless and an okay experience!!

I went to the dentist last week for the first time in eleven years. I am incredibly phobic of the dentist, it was something I dreaded every single day of those eleven years but a few months ago I decided I needed to face it. I thought I'd probably needs lots of work, and was planning to be sedated for the work but go for the initial check up first.

I can't even express what a big deal for me it was to actually GO, i was so scared.
    And I got the all clear! I couldn't believe it. I still can't.. I feel like I've won the lottery or something, completely shocked. Just delighted.

So yes, can definitely get behind the "go, it won't be as bad as you think!" chorus! It's crazy to think a decade of severe dread and anxiety was actually for nothing. And I consume lots of junk food/fizzy drinks!! (I'm still doing so a bit, just because it's christmas, but will definitely be cutting a lot of that stuff out next week -it won't even be hard, because I'm just so grateful).

Advertisement