Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Falling off wagon + binging - any advice?

Options
  • 22-12-2011 6:15am
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

So I quit the drink about the start of last September. (I'm 32)
    Lasted about 6 weeks then fell off the wagon and drank solidly (night and day) for a week or so.

Got back on the wagon then went to visit friend in Paris end of November, fell off and been drinking until 2 days ago.

So I'm typing now realising all the stupid **** I did and texts I sent and the money I spent and now vowing never to touch the stuff again.

However I've said it before and can't last.

What are the methods for staying off long-term?
    I've tried AA but I don't agree with the 12 steps/higher power/pat on the back thing they have going on in there.

Help!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭bebostunnah

jayteecork wrote: »
    So I quit the drink about the start of last September. (I'm 32)
    Lasted about 6 weeks then fell off the wagon and drank solidly (night and day) for a week or so.

Got back on the wagon then went to visit friend in Paris end of November, fell off and been drinking until 2 days ago.

So I'm typing now realising all the stupid **** I did and texts I sent and the money I spent and now vowing never to touch the stuff again.

However I've said it before and can't last.

What are the methods for staying off long-term?
    I've tried AA but I don't agree with the 12 steps/higher power/pat on the back thing they have going on in there.

Help!

Just carry on drinking but do it moderately, nothing wrong with going on the lush

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Just carry on drinking but do it moderately, nothing wrong with going on the lush

errrr thanks, not really the advice I was looking for.

errrr thanks, not really the advice I was looking for.

Well your problem is self control, why cant you stop at two or three pints is all im saying

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Well your problem is self control, why cant you stop at two or three pints is all im saying

If I could stop at 2 or 3 I'd hardly be posting here.

Just something I can't do.

If I could stop at 2 or 3 I'd hardly be posting here.

Just something I can't do.

Forget the word cant

You are admitting a problem so your already on your way to getting clean

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... I've tried AA but I don't agree with the 12 steps/higher power/pat on the back thing they have going on in there. ...
    Whatever they have going on in there seems to be working for some of them at least, but what ever you have going in isn't working for you. Any message there?

Try staying off the booze for a day rather than forever, and maybe hook up with a like-minded pal for a bit of support. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

There are a few threads here in this forum that might help you,check them out :-).

Also recognize that the work of Stopping is truly "work," and it takes time, effort, and sometimes it costs money. Sometimes it is costly in other ways, as well; friendships and other close relationships will be changed, when we change. And that can be painful. Making this kind of change will have an impact on all areas of your lives; that is a very, very good thing; it can also be accompanied by some pain. Again... we must learn to tolerate the discomforts involved in life changes. There will be some emotional upheaval along the way.Making a plan, and following it, is an act of mature recognition of the fact that, for nearly all of us, just wishing and hoping that we will stop drinking (or begin drinking "normally") "on our own" is not going to work. Remember: nobody ever "wished and hoped" their way through any important project. But with persistence, and support from others it can be done.Good Luck and I hope this did not break the forum charter :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

This forum is not a place to discuss alcohol dependency problems experienced by particular individuals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement