Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ckc health tests

Options
  • 21-12-2011 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

A friend has just told me she plans to get a ckc tomorrow.The breeders website screams puppy farm or byb.Selling at Xmas is a bad sign and their site,which has a ridiculous name,says five don't have health issues.I've told her all this and she may be coming round,but Id like to know what specific health tests should be done so that I can further dissuade her from buying off this shower

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You'll find all the info you need here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Well syringomyelia and mitral valve disease are two major things that spring to mind. Think it's a mri to rule out syringomyelia. Upon a quick google this website looks useful http://www.cavalierhealth.org/

There is a cavalier rescue in Ireland if this is a route she would be interested in going down, regardless she should stay away from the likes of donedeal (as I'm sure you've already told her).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

You'll find all the info you need here

You got there before me!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Cheers guys, I'll send the links on. I had covered those health issues with her already but it is good to be able to back them up with some standard test info

She announced it in the pub earlier...I was trying to relay it all on my phone so couldn't get too much in! Anyway, it seems that she has decided against picking up this pup...or else she is trying to appease us. One of our friends volunteers with a rescue organisation so she also gave her a right lecture about this. We are obviously rescue oriented, but if someone really wants a PB pup, we are happy to point them down the breed club route etc.

I know little about CKC breeding, and would personally avoid the breed. If anyone knows of responsible CKC breeders, pm me. I am trying to push her away from the breed but if she insists on getting one, I hope it will be as ethical as is possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

pm sent ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

I bet I know the exact website your friend was looking at, of which I know they state theres no health issues...yes, in a cavalier..hmm and they dont do any of the testing needed to determine that there dogs are free of these issues. The mind boggles.
    I know 3 cavaliers who came from that place, ALL had issues, one died at 2 years old, the other had to have eye surgery as the pressure from his brain was pushing his eyes out and the other is on medication for heart issues and epilepsy.

The sooner people realise that having a fancy website and stating things about health with no proper medical back up means nothing...they are puppy farmers end of.
    Hopefully your friend listens, if she wants to speak to the people I know with these cavs from that place she is more than welcome. They will tell her precisely what they have had to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gc1971

It doesn't matter if some are healthy now as it would take time for any issues to surface. I own 2 cavaliers (rescues), pm me if I can help but I plead with your friend not to buy unless from a very reputable breeder. Vets certificates are not enough to go by either.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mrsbrady

hey, we have a CFC and she's 4, we tried to get an MRI done during the year for syringomyelia and it costs ~€1000, insurance wouldnt cover it.

:(

Cheers for all the replies, she decided against getting the pup (I rang her today to double check). She went through the motions last night of trying to justify herself but with four people telling her why she shouldn't, she didn't stand a chance! She does seem to have taken it all on board though about sourcing a pup correctly (although time will only tell really)

I had another look at their website, they offer to arrange delivery:eek: It drives me mad that people are taken in. When she said CKC and the name of the websites involved last night, the alarm bells started ringing.

Some great info anyway...re the MRIs, costs, insurance implications etc. Doubtless, I'll use it again with someone

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Could someone please pm me the name of this website? I've a cavalier and often am asked for some good breeders, have come across some great ones online ect. but need to be aware of this breeder! thanks

• Advertisement

sotisme wrote: »
    Could someone please pm me the name of this website? I've a cavalier and often am asked for some good breeders, have come across some great ones online ect. but need to be aware of this breeder! thanks

PM sent

Advertisement