Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic pics on Cigarette packs from 2013

Options
  • 21-12-2011 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭

It was only a matter of time but the government have announced that graphic pictures such as already in existence in a number of EU countries will be mandatory here from early 2013.

Personally i don't see how they are effective. I've bought packs in the UK and am currently smoking cigarettes from Spain that carry the same pictures and much like the many graphic RSA traffic ads over the years you develop an immunity to it and pay no notice.

Prices have gone up and failed to reduce the number of smokers dramatically. They've banned advertisement and forced them to be sold 'behind the counter' and yet people continue to smoke. They banned smoking indoors with the exception of the home and all that's happened is pubs are going out of business(not exclusively due to smoking ban,drink driving laws and price are major factors too).

They continue to pummel us with 'studies' that tell us how wretched they are and that we're killing everyone around us(third hand smoke being the latest). I love smoking. I'm 37 and know full well what they are and what they can potentially do. I'm sick of being lectured by government and agencies about my lifestyle choices. If they're so concerned about the killer weed why don't they just ban the feckin' things?!:mad:

http://www.thejournal.ie/graphic-photographs-to-be-placed-on-cigarette-packets-310763-Dec2011/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The campaigns aren't aimed at us smokers but at the young potential smokers. They are trying to persuade youngsters not to take it up in the first place.
    If they were serious about stopping us smoking they should offer cash incentives. Pay me to stop smoking. Test my nicotine levels every week and if I'm clear then give me €50.00. :cool:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

OldGoat wrote: »
    If they were serious about stopping us smoking they should offer cash incentives. Pay me to stop smoking. Test my nicotine levels every week and if I'm clear then give me €50.00. :cool:

I like your style.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

The reason for this is quite clear - smokers cost the government money. End of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

dont smokers end up paying for their potential medical costs in taxes anyway by a large amount?

Mod:
    At this point I would like to point out that everybody posting here should be aware of this forums charter. Non smokers coming in to have a dig at smokers will be banned. I know it's unfair and is a curtailment of your free speech and...yadda yadda yadda... but thats just the way it is. This forum is to provide a place for us smokers to rant and rile against the imposition of state selected images on our products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The black lungs and what not? Pfft. Didn't the Irish government not try that one before?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I love my Cigs picture or no picture. Nothing beats an after Dinner Cigarette/Cigar with a double expresso. So f*ck this government and their nanny state policies.

Just buy a nice silver cigarette case.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Just buy a nice silver cigarette case.

I keep meaning to do that for my rollies but all I can find is cheapo ones that tend to break on me after a month or two.

Try Rhinestones on South Antrew St. (Dublin) for a vintage one or Weirs for new ones. Pricey though. Ask in Petersons too. They might not have any but I'm sure they can source them for you.
    EBay is your best bet.
    I'm old enough to remember buying my tobbaco in tins like these. I still have a few filled with junk. Really wish you could still get 'em.
    $%28KGrHqIOKi!E3%29BkPHU5BODzg6eOpQ~~_35.JPG

• Advertisement

Try Rhinestones on South Antrew St. (Dublin) for a vintage one or Weirs for new ones. Pricey though. Ask in Petersons too. They might not have any but I'm sure they can source them for you.
    EBay is your best bet.

In Cork, so Dublin shops not really an option. Probably will have to resort to Ebay. :(

I have one of these:

sku_4217_1.jpg

and one of these:

b844832240aa017d8c9da8174d6f_grande.jpg

Both bought off eBay for very little and still working well. The first one,the cigarette ejector,is better as it holds more than the silver case.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have one of the silver cases; use it mainly if I'm going on a long drive, and need the rollies in a handy to get place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I don't see why they should bother putting graphic pic on the packets. Anyone with half a brain should know they aren't good for the health. If people are dumb enough to smoke let them off, who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The campaigns aren't aimed at us smokers but at the young potential smokers. They are trying to persuade youngsters not to take it up in the first place.

Wouldn't you save €50 a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,756 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If people are dumb enough to smoke let them off, who cares.
    Dumb? Like when you post on a forum without reading the charter? Take a tickle of the banstick...

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

got silk cut purple from spain afew times it had the teeth and lungs on them. The first time you see them, its like "yuk" , but then you get used to them and you dont really pass much heed. Well thats me anyway. :)

got silk cut purple from spain afew times it had the teeth and lungs on them. The first time you see them, its like "yuk" , but then you get used to them and you dont really pass much heed. Well thats me anyway. :)

And the health warning is in Spanish so you can't understand it!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

lord lucan wrote: »
    And the health warning is in Spanish so you can't understand it!:pac:

I was acculy going to go on to google translater to see what it said. Im guessing: NOT FOR SALE IN IRELAND :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

Gumbi wrote: »
    The reason for this is quite clear - smokers cost the government money. End of.

I think someone has deeply gone into the economics of this matter before.
    Without going into to much detail, smokers die younger thus less dependant on government aid such as fuel allowance, pension & health care etc, at an older age thus it all balances out and no one gets financially hurt.

• Advertisement

Without going into to much detail, smokers die younger thus less dependant on government aid such as fuel allowance, pension & health care etc, at an older age thus it all balances out and no one gets financially hurt.

Pretty much yeah, smokers generate more tax revenue and die younger requiring less tax revenue.

nesf wrote: »
    Pretty much yeah, smokers generate more tax revenue and die younger requiring less tax revenue.

Very interesting, I never saw it like that. So why exactly are the Government so fixated on the common smoker? Is it EU policies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Very interesting, I never saw it like that. So why exactly are the Government so fixated on the common smoker? Is it EU policies?

They have to be seen to be doing something. It's hard to find information on it but in the middle of the last decade the EU spent as much per year on subsidies for tobacco farmers as on anti-smoking campaigns.

While the illnesses smokers get cost money to treat there's an average of 10-15 years of pensions that don't have to be paid. Even before counting the tax revenue from smokers there's that, the less need for nursing homes and the fact that everyone dies so needs some kind of treatment towards the end of their life anyway.

Faith+1 wrote: »

Pressure from special interest groups like ASH and it being a stable, reliable revenue earner up until recently when they pushed it too far and created a big black market. But they can't reduce the price because of ASH etc so they're stuck with a monster created by a previous Government and might as well eek out a bit more out of the honest people who don't buy black market stuff (not that I blame people for doing this in the current economic climate).

Mod: Just a reminder to all that we don't do blackmarket smokes in this forum. It's Boards.ie policy to be above board. See what I did there?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kalel

There was a study done a couple of years ago into smoking, branding and labeling. Nothing that is put on a box of smokes will make any difference to an actual smoker. The reason been that when a smoker see's the image and then takes a pull of a smoke , the brain links that image to the lovely satisfaction of the first pull therefore totally nullifying the warning in the first place. Now it might have some effect on new younger smokers but for us seasoned addicts nothing put on a box of smokes will have any effect whatsoever.

Now where is my box of black lungs gone...

Mod: Just a reminder to all that we don't do blackmarket smokes in this forum. It's Boards.ie policy to be above board. See what I did there?

I thought discussion of was ok but telling people where to get them wasn't? Similar to Politics etc.

Kalel wrote: »
    Now it might have some effect on new younger smokers but for us seasoned addicts nothing put on a box of smokes will have any effect whatsoever.

Now where is my box of black lungs gone...

God bless us all :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

afatbollix wrote: »
    Wouldn't you save €50 a week?

I doubt anybody would. I know if I didn't spend money on smoking I'd spend it on something else like drink or buying more groceries. So I don't think many people would save anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I'd rather not get into to it, but I'll take that. I don't fully agree with it, but I'm almost there. Fair point.

Advertisement